Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 nissan frontier crew cab speedometer is not working.

Not sure about the odometer...
My 2002 nissan frontier crew cab speedometer is not working. Not sure about the odometer. How do I get to the speedometer to determine what the problem is?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the engine is running?

No service engine soon light.

Then the issue is most likely the speedometer it's self. The way I would check this is to hook a scanner to the truck and road test it. If I can monitor vehicle speed with the scanner, that means the sensors is working and sending the signals, just that the cluster internally has failed and that is why it's not working.

But normally if you had a bad speed sensor for the speedometer, you would have a code for it with a Service Engine Soon light. That is why I asked. So I am going to say the issue is most likely the speedometer.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

We did check the gear in the transmission and it seems to be OK. To get to to the speedometer do I have to remove the dash?

No, you only need to remove the steering column cover and the black trim around the cluster to access the cluster to replace the speedometer.

Another thing you can try, I have seen where the 4 screws that mounts the speedometer to the cluster come loose. So you may want to check them first before replacing.

Can you send pictures??

I don't have good pictures showing this.. I am speaking from experience..

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Thank you for your expertise. We will give it a try.