Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan Quest 04'- had issue with reving up and down a while…

Customer Question
Nissan Quest 04'- had...

Nissan Quest 04'- had issue with reving up and down a while back. A mechanic replaced the throttle body from a junk yard and all was well for a long time. Then started it started again. This time would not rev up above 2000 rpms. Put a code reader on it and gave issue with throttle body. So bought a new one from rockauto. Did the reprogramming required turn on turn off etc. The reving up and down stopped but still would not get over 2000 rpms. mechanic said another code it had was the accelerator pedal switch. Replaced it still same problem, but no longer reading issue with those items. Next issue was egr valve. replaced it. I got in and it acted like finally fixed, but when i went to accelerate over 40 mph it started all over again. Also had steam from radiator momentarily but did not get hot. Don't know what else to do.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Well had transmission re done 3-4 years ago. Nope havent checked the fuel filters yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Quest yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah money's tight so doing what I can. Replaced throttle body, accelerator pedal switch, and egr valve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope guess thats it.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 27 days ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What are the exact codes you are getting or were getting please? Also just saying,., When it comes to after market electrical parts, they are known not to work right. So that new throttle chamber most likely will not work.

Let me know the codes, so we can start there..

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The mechanic said it could be the throttle body as that was the issue when he fixed it. When the throttle body from rock auto didn't work, he came out and said it was still showing issue with the throttle body an possibly the pedal switch that communicates with it. So since it was a new throttle body it must be the switch. Then when that didn't work I got a code reader from autozone and it read egr valve. So I replaced it.

Just cause you get a code, does not always mean that is the part. That is why I am asking you for the code numbers you are getting? or were getting?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Man don't remember code numbers. Just what it said was the issue. Didn't think to write the codes down.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When i replaced everything i mentioned. No issues where found on code reader.

Any way you can get me the code numbers? I can keep this question open until you do..

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I haven' been able to reach that mechanic and the code reader i used was rented from autozone and returned.

Well, it's hard to help you with out the codes you were getting. I would need the codes to properly assist you.

So example. Lets say the Mechanic miss-understood the codes he originally was getting and was thinking it's a throttle chamber. I may see that code and know that normally something else causes that code since I have 27 years Nissan experience. So now that a after market throttle chamber is installed and you are still having issues, I would need to code numbers as a starting point to help you.

Understand?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Oh i completely understand, but I have no way of getting them myself, as I mentioned no code issues were found at the end of replacing those parts. Yet still had same problem. Will write them down next time.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I was just hoping for some ideas to try next, thanks for your time. I'll just keep researching.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Have a good one. I' ll remember to write those down next go around.

Just return back to this question once you get the codes, and I will continue to help you.. Ok?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Since you can not help without them and I can not get them to give to you, no need to keep question open. Thanks anyway.
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician