Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trunk lid release is constantly opening the lid, even with…

Trunk lid release is...

Trunk lid release is constantly opening the lid, even with key FOB 200 feet away with the Fob battery taken out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?

In the key FOB ? yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2016 nissan altima 3.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have taken it to a dealer and spoke with another dealer and they say it is the key fob. can't see how that is possible with the fob so far away and with the battery out of the fos at that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of.

3/23/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - OK - so, I haven't looked at one of these cars for 2016, but... is there a button on the inside of the car? If you have the battery out of the fob, it isn't the fob...

Could the button be stuck (inside the car)?

This system runs through the body controller. So, either the remote transmitter sends a signal, or the BCM gets a signal fro the switch in the dash.

Is there any reason the dealer won't look at this under warranty, or are you over on the mileage?

Button not stuck and vehicle is over mileage
I'll get back with you. We are about to replace the vehicle battery. Thanks for your help so far.

Contacts in button may be stuck... but ok. There is way to check the button - remove the connector from the back, and check for continuity with an ohmmeter

Any aftermarket devices installed that may have compromised the wiring between the button, and the body control module?

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

OK.