Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My horn stopped working, as did everything on the steering…

My horn stopped working...

My horn stopped working, as did everything on the steering wheel. The phone connection, the cruise control and the buttons to turn the radio from the steering wheel. The radio works, and the phone recognition works, it just cant be operated from the steering wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes I have power steering and not problems with it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2012 Nissan Cube

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cube yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything

3/23/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - is the airbag light on as well?

No
I don’t want to call, just answer the question

Given the description of the problem, there is a good chance the spiral cable (clockspring) has failed. This would explain the sudden and widespread failure of the horn, and steering wheel switches. The clockspring allows you to turn the wheel, and still have all the electrical switches function. It is a ribbon-like spiral cable.

Clockspring B55541PV8A 368.48, and 1.1 hours to replace it.

Our system asks everyone if they would like a call. That was not generated by me.

All the failed systems run through the clock spring. It is the common denominator.

Please close up the question, and rate my answer. Thank you. Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic
Thank you I will have the clock spring checked

Thank you for using Just Answer.