Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 06 Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 and it just always…

I have an 06...

I have an 06 Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 and it just always sounds like the valves are tapping

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

83,000 no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I bought it with 75,000 miles on it and it just seems to get louder and louder I would take it to mechanic. I’ve change the oil 5000 miles ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does it make this noise under light acceleration? or when going up a hill? Like a Chatter type noise from the engine?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Up a hill and acceleration but more up a hill
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Up a hill

Thank you. What you are most likely hearing is octane ping. The engine will make a chatter when going up hills or under light acceleration. So all you would need to do is run the tank of fuel down and when you get gas the next time, fill the truck up with premium fuel. By the time you get to around 1/2 tank, you will notice it will start to get less. By the time you need to get gas again, the noise will almost be gone. Fill up one more time with Premium and it should be gone by 3/4 of a tank on the 2nd filling.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I’m forced to use premium fuel?

Yeah. Only around this time of the year. The reason is this......

From September to April Regular Grade fuel & Middle Grade fuel have more ethanol in it. Premium does not have Ethanol in it cause it has such a high octane content. Once after April, they lower the Ethanol content.. and you can then switch back to Regular or Middle Grade..

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician