Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a horrible situation. The horn on our Nissan

We have a horrible...

We have a horrible situation. The horn on our Nissan Frontier blows it’s horn everyday, at least 8-10 times a day for about 12 honks each time. It does it night and day. The truck sits in our driveway and wakes us and the neighbors up at all hours. No reason can be found and no cure except unhooking the horn which can be dangerous. What can we do? It’s so embarrassing! Please help! Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Frontier?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. Don’t know what to do other than unhook the horn. We’ve only had the truck a few months. My husband, Mark, is asleep, and I know nothing about these things,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

. He is normally a very good mechanic.

3/23/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

You can pull the Horn fuse to start so it does not wake your neighbors. But when the horn is sounding, do any lights flash?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No flashing lights
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It wouldn’t help to talk to me. I have 0 mechanical ability. Husband is asleep. He gets up very early for work.

Does the horn honk in a pattern? No problem, we don't have to talk. We can continue like this..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No time of day type pattern. I have notice that one of the episodes is around 10-11pm. When it honks, it is steady not sporadic:

Steady like stuck on? or does it go .. ON.. OFF... ON... OFF..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Steady, stuck. Honk honk honk honk . . . .10-12 times

That could be a Horn it's self or something with in the steering wheel. But the Drivers Air Bag would need to be removed to inspect it.

For it to say on steady, that is 100% something in the steering wheel area..

I have seen Steering wheels, Air Bags not secured properly, Clock Springs.. It would need to be taken apart to check. But you can pull the Horn fuse in the mean time so you don't have to worry about hearing it when you sleep..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mark always does his own mechanical work. Isn’T removing the air bag a somewhat dangerous thing? Removing the fuse at night is a great idea! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that!! Haha.

You have to use caution like disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 15 mins before removing a air bag. This allows the system to discharge so it can be worked on

this air bag does get locked in by clips which can be a pain in the %@#$ to get the bag to release.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will share your info with Mark tomorrow when he gets home from work. You,be been very helpful.
Have you ever had this question before?

That is how it's secured if he cares to give it a try. I have. I normally pop out the air bag and can figure out what is causing it normally

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, goodnight.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician