Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a problem with AC. It was empty so I add a bunch.

Have a problem with...

Have a problem with AC.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

It was empty so I add a bunch. Clutch is engaging but blows hot air

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2008 Altima 3.5 SL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced AC clutch and added 134a.

3/23/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How did you add the freon to the system?

Used the can with gauge on it from Autozone. Connected the hose on the low side, started the engine, turned AC on all the way and squeezed the trigger.
I am at work right now and unable to talk on the phone. Typing would be the best way of communicating.

When you use the Can's, you are never going to be able to charge the AC system properly. You need a AC machine to put in the proper freon amount. You added just enough that it may engage the ac compressor, but not enough for it to cool.

With the AC system off, what is your pressure readings on the High and Low side?

showing 35 on the low side never checked the high

You need to check both side pressures. That could also help you determine if the freon level is correct or not.

You are reading 35 psi pressure when the Car is off?

when on . the pressure is not dropping much when system is off

So what is the resting pressure ? 35?

About 26-28

The Ac system when properly charged, should have a resting pressure of around 225 psi.

So you are way under charged in freon.

So I would have a AC machine charge your system. When you charge the AC system, you recover it and then use a vacuum to put the system in a vacuum state. This way when you got to charge it, it will draw the freon in so you can add the proper amount.

Got it. Any clues why would the freon escape in the first place.
Is it common to happen like that.

The AC lines are connected and sealed by o-rings. That is the most common. At the same time, when you have the system charged, make sure they have dye in the freon. This way if you do have a leak, you can find it.

got it thanks a bunch.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician