Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2003 Nissan 350z I changed all the spark plugs and…

Hey I have a 2003...
Hey I have a 2003 Nissan 350z I changed all the spark plugs and coil packs but the car still isn’t running right there are constant miss fires. I was having this problem before so I changed the plugs and coils then went out for a drive it was wine till I got back home it’s started going the same thing again. Maybe a vacuum leak? but if it was that wouldn’t it constantly do the same thing even right after I changed the plugs and coils?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What brand spark plugs did you install? Also where did you get the coil packs?

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
The plugs are Bosch platinum fusion
Phone call session started
Still doing the same thing

You got the NGK's ? Clear the codes and try to isolate which cylinder is giving you the misfire by unplugging coils and see if there is a change. If you find for example unplugging the coil for cylinder 3 has no change.. Then remove and swap that coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows that coil

Okay it’s all fixed
I just have one more question though what would cause low oil pressure while the car is idling the pressure is at 0 shouldn’t it at lest be at a quarter way up

That is off topic, since we are only allow one topic per question. But that is normally something along the timing chain configuration. Worn tensioner, blown out back timing cover gasket.

What fixed your issue?

Changes the coil packs
Changed *
On the driver side

Ah so the Bosch coils were a issue also.. Cool. Glad you got the issue resolved..

Thank you

Your welcome..

Having the same problem again

Really? Can you isolate the Misfire to a particular cylinder? Did you try swapping coils around to see if the misfire would follow it?

It’s not giving me any codes
I’ll try that

k

P0300
I’m stuck on the road

Does it not drive how bad is it running? Also did you get gas recently before this started?

It’s not even starting anymore
This started last Sunday on my way back from Palm Springs

Did you get gas then? I wonder if you got bad gas?

no to the gas question

Low fuel pressure could be your issue. That can cause a misfire code, and then cause a no start issue. I know you can't go and check fuel pressure now.

How do I do that

You need a fuel pressure gauge.

I think it might still be the coils some how cause yesterday when I changed them first I put in all the old coils in on cylinders 2,4,6
In cylinders 1,3,5
the old coils in cylinders 2,4,6

I told you I was not a fan of after market electrical parts for that reason. So it's possible.

the new ones in 1,3,5 and the old in 2,4,6 it was running like normal then I thought why not replace the old one as well then when I did it started misfiring again
at the end I had cylinders 1,3,5 running the old and cylinders 2,4,6 with the new and it was running fine till now
I’m thinking the new ones went bad

I have seen where a bad negative battery cable can burn out coils .. But you were not finding them blistered at all right?

Changed all coils
No start
Still

Do you know if you have spark? We may need to check fuel pressure..

There is no spark
I’m thinking cam sensors ?

Cam sensor is certainly possible. Do you know if you have any other codes?

No codes
Just power stealing pressure switch
I don’t think that has anything to do with it

I tried to call you last night. I am currently working. Can I call you again after work and we can talk about this?

What time ?
What was your number ?

I use the call system from justanswer It's a California number

Okayyy
I pulled the cam sensors they were soaked it oil normal ?

Talk to you later..

Are you available now for the call?

Go ahead

k

Does the ecm have to be connected with testing v

Yes,, that is why you back pin it

I got .78 for ecm relay
It’s supposed to be at 11-14 v

What pin is that? Did you check all pins or stop at that one?

I’m still doing it
It pin 111

The Ecm relay can certainly affect the car from starting. That is part of the IPDM.

that could be our problem ?
Bad relay ?

The relay are not meant to be removed. So if you want, try swapping it with the Ac relay. Lets just see if it starts.

Where is that relay ?
Do I just pull it straight out?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4s23zkvnzkonyh/1%20350%20ipdm.pdf?dl=0

Double check fuse 82.. That is what powers the coil side of that relay. If fuse 82 has power on both sides, then use a pair of pliers and use that to pull the relays out.

Alright
When I turn the key the fans go on

IPDM power the Ecm. So if the IPDM is not powering the Ecm properly, the fans come on.