Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2003 Nissan 350z I changed all the spark plugs and…

Hey I have a 2003...
Hey I have a 2003 Nissan 350z I changed all the spark plugs and coil packs but the car still isn’t running right there are constant miss fires. I was having this problem before so I changed the plugs and coils then went out for a drive it was wine till I got back home it’s started going the same thing again. Maybe a vacuum leak? but if it was that wouldn’t it constantly do the same thing even right after I changed the plugs and coils?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What brand spark plugs did you install? Also where did you get the coil packs?

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The plugs are Bosch platinum fusion
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still doing the same thing

You got the NGK's ? Clear the codes and try to isolate which cylinder is giving you the misfire by unplugging coils and see if there is a change. If you find for example unplugging the coil for cylinder 3 has no change.. Then remove and swap that coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows that coil

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay it’s all fixed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just have one more question though what would cause low oil pressure while the car is idling the pressure is at 0 shouldn’t it at lest be at a quarter way up

That is off topic, since we are only allow one topic per question. But that is normally something along the timing chain configuration. Worn tensioner, blown out back timing cover gasket.

What fixed your issue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Changes the coil packs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Changed *
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the driver side

Ah so the Bosch coils were a issue also.. Cool. Glad you got the issue resolved..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Your welcome..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Having the same problem again

Really? Can you isolate the Misfire to a particular cylinder? Did you try swapping coils around to see if the misfire would follow it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s not giving me any codes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll try that

k

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0300
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m stuck on the road

Does it not drive how bad is it running? Also did you get gas recently before this started?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s not even starting anymore
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This started last Sunday on my way back from Palm Springs

Did you get gas then? I wonder if you got bad gas?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no to the gas question

Low fuel pressure could be your issue. That can cause a misfire code, and then cause a no start issue. I know you can't go and check fuel pressure now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I do that

You need a fuel pressure gauge.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it might still be the coils some how cause yesterday when I changed them first I put in all the old coils in on cylinders 2,4,6
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In cylinders 1,3,5
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the old coils in cylinders 2,4,6

I told you I was not a fan of after market electrical parts for that reason. So it's possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the new ones in 1,3,5 and the old in 2,4,6 it was running like normal then I thought why not replace the old one as well then when I did it started misfiring again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
at the end I had cylinders 1,3,5 running the old and cylinders 2,4,6 with the new and it was running fine till now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m thinking the new ones went bad

I have seen where a bad negative battery cable can burn out coils .. But you were not finding them blistered at all right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Changed all coils
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still

Do you know if you have spark? We may need to check fuel pressure..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no spark
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m thinking cam sensors ?

Cam sensor is certainly possible. Do you know if you have any other codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just power stealing pressure switch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t think that has anything to do with it

I tried to call you last night. I am currently working. Can I call you again after work and we can talk about this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What time ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What was your number ?

I use the call system from justanswer It's a California number

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okayyy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pulled the cam sensors they were soaked it oil normal ?

Talk to you later..

Are you available now for the call?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Go ahead

k

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the ecm have to be connected with testing v

Yes,, that is why you back pin it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got .78 for ecm relay
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s supposed to be at 11-14 v

What pin is that? Did you check all pins or stop at that one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m still doing it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It pin 111

The Ecm relay can certainly affect the car from starting. That is part of the IPDM.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that could be our problem ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bad relay ?

The relay are not meant to be removed. So if you want, try swapping it with the Ac relay. Lets just see if it starts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is that relay ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I just pull it straight out?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4s23zkvnzkonyh/1%20350%20ipdm.pdf?dl=0

Double check fuse 82.. That is what powers the coil side of that relay. If fuse 82 has power on both sides, then use a pair of pliers and use that to pull the relays out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I turn the key the fans go on

IPDM power the Ecm. So if the IPDM is not powering the Ecm properly, the fans come on.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician