Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 200sx se-r (manual tranny) has an intermittent problem…

Customer Question
1997 200sx se-r (manual...

1997 200sx se-r (manual tranny) has an intermittent problem with starting. Power is there when the key is in the "on" position, but when I flip it to "start" all the power is cut. I start my car 5-10 times per day and it fails to start 1-2 times per day. Could it be the ignition relay?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

230k. It starts normally except the at least once a day it doesn't.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 200SX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything because I don't know what is wrong. yes fixing myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/22/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is actually a very easy fix if it's what I am thinking. How handy are you?

Handy enough.

Ok then.. Lets open the hood, and turn the head lights on and go to start the car. When all power cuts out, go to the Battery and loosen the negative battery cable and start to twist it right to left. If at any point the head lights come on, then tighten the terminal down in a slightly different position. If the head lights do not come on, then try the same thing with the Positive battery cable.

Let me know how you make out. The most common thing is a battery terminal connection that causes this..

That sounds great. Only problem is that when the key is in the "start" position the power cuts, but when it goes back to "on" then the power is back. Also, I just started my car. Since this is an intermittent problem, I have no idea how to test it except for when it randomly doesn't work, which happens once or twice a day.

What you do is turn the key to start it, then leave it in the ON position when there is no power, but you have the head lights on. So when you play with the battery, you know which one..