Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

04 Nissan Armada taillight fuses. There are no tailights,

04 Nissan Armada blown...

04 Nissan Armada blown taillight fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?

There are no tailights, the fuses are blowing. Fixing it myself

3/22/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Are you looking for the location for the Tail light fuse? Or does the tail light fuse keep blowing?

Fuses keep blowing.

This would be considered a short. Did you do any work recently before this happened? Also how handy are you?

Yep, it's a short. I'm handy, very mechanical, tracing shorts is my weaker side.
Replaced the exhaust manifolds, everything went back together good, no wires out of place.
Also, I have a good understanding of electrical in automotive, just need a few tricks for tracking down shorts. Anything synonymous with the Armada? Common points? No TSB's?

Sorry, I left work, and just got home..

No TSB's.. What I normally do is Pop out and unplug both rear tail lights. Then put a fuse in. If the fuse does not blow, then you know it's one of those tail lights.

Also do you have a tow hitch?

OK, back on it. Yes it has a tow hitch. I removed the tail light bulbs and the fuse blew again when I turned on the lights.

I would try to disable the tow hitch harness and see if the fuse stops blowing and if it still blows, then remove the front marker lights.

Is the truck completely stock? No after market radio or anything?

Stock everything. So I disconnected the front markers, the trailer brake control, the trailer relays 1 & 2 and the 30a trailer tow fuse, the 10a trailer tow fuse the 10a tail light fuse still blows. How do I disable the trailer tow hitch harness?

It should be a plug that goes under the truck in the back..

there's no connector leading from the trailer hitch recepticle to the front of the car. I do see where the tailpipe is broken and exhaust hits the floorboard where it goes over the axle. There's about a foot of luming that's been melted over the coil spring on the inside of the frame on the large bundle, possibly from heat from the broken tailpipe, but I don't see where there's any wiring insulation burned or even discolored. Can't out rule though. What kind of tests can I run with my DVM? I also have a Power Probe II.

With a dead short, I had you disconnect lights to see if we can isolate where the short would be. There is allot of things on that circuit. If the exhaust tail pipe is broken, I have seen where the heat of the exhaust does melt things.

I have also seen inside door lights on the bottom of the door panel. Seen them blow fuses also. The lights pop out and the door and short out the interior illumination.

Jay, I found the issue I think. I disconnected the large multiple connector under the passenger floorboard and the fuse didn't blow. So I knew the short was from the connector back and disconnected the zip ties holding the harness to the frame so I could inspect the burned luming area better and I found multiple wires stuck together. I'll need to order a new harness, fix the tailpipe issue and that should take care of it. Thanks for your help.

Good find.. Glad you got the issue isolated.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Just as an FYI, the work I did on this rig was replacing the exhaust manifolds from cracking. I did this job for someone else and mentioned they needed to fix the tailpipe. It had been that way for sometime. The additional exhaust out of the broken tailpipe after the new manifolds were installed, produced more heat than when thw exhaust escaped in the engine compartment. Fix one thing and cause another. LOL! Thanks again.

Old Pathfinders are known for those tail pipes also. The exhaust gases melt everything..

Your very welcome.. Glad we got the issue resolved.