Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Every once in a while, when I'm driving, I push the gas

Customer Question
Every once in a...

Every once in a while, when I'm driving, I push the gas pedal and there is no acceleration It's a 2013 Pathfinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Nothing unusual sounding at start up. Wife drives it usually, so I don't know if it's become a gas guzzler. I think it's staying at 19 mpg

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. I was out of the country for a while and wife hasn't kept up with regular services except oil changes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Nissan Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is it acting like it is bogging down with no power or just acting up like your not even pressing on the accelerator with this issue here?

Have any warning lights come on on the dash with this fault?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

No warning lights. It just acts like I'm not even pressing on the accelerator.

Your vehicle has an accelerator pedal/gas pedal that has a position sensor attached to it.It no longer uses a cable that runs from the pedal to the engine.This sensor on the pedal fails.When it acts up it will act like you are not pressing on the gas pedal at all.This won't cause a warning light to come on or any codes to set as the computer will think your not pressing on the pedal even though you are.This was a common component to fail to cause this issue here.

To check to make sure this is the cause you would need a compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicles data port to observe the pedal sensor signal when pressing on the pedal.If the value of the signal does not change when pressing on the pedal then the pedal assembly needs replaced to resolve this fault.I have had to replace this before for this issue here.It is usually fairly simple with a couple of bolts or nuts holding it to the floor and an electrical connector attached to it.You can check and make sure the connector is seated fully and no wires are damaged at it first.It is located attached to the pedal assembly.This does sound like the component at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete