Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Nissan Altima the cam sensor gets hot when I remove it,

Customer Question
it cools down and the...
2003 Nissan Altima the cam sensor gets hot when I remove it, it cools down and the car starts again
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Nissan
3/22/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 month ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Are you getting a Cam Sensor code? Have you replaced the Cam Sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we are getting the p0340 code and we replaced it already

Where did you get the sensor you installed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I installed it

Ok. but where did you buy it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Purshaced from autozone

That is a After market sensor. They never work right. The internal resistances are never correct and that is why it builds heat. You are going to need to get a Sensor from the dealer to resolve your issue.

These cars do not like after market electrical parts. They never work right.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay i will try it tommorow

You got it..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir i will let you know if this is fixed by tommrow afternoon

You got it, You can still return back to this question and I can continue to help you. Even after you Rate me. Follow up questions are no extra charge you only need to return back to this question.

To return back to this question all you would need to do is log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Question to return back to this question

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey sorry for the confusion but I spoke to my dad he said the cam sensor is actually from the Nissan dealer it was around $100+

Is this a 2.5 engine?

If the Cam Sensor is new from the dealer, We normally replace the Crank Sensor with the Cam Sensor. They get replaced in Pairs. So you may want to replace the Crank Sensor also.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is what we have replaced so far. Cam and crank sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow sensor
And this is another detail which may or may not be a part of the problem but when we disconnect the ground wires from the engine, the fans turn on

Disconnecting the grounds will cause the fans to come on cause the Ecm uses those grounds.

Did you make sure the Crank Sensor connector fully locks? Also was there any oil in the old connector part of the old sensors?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cam didn’t but the other one did have a bit of oil

Did you clean the electrical connector and make sure the Crank sensor lock fully snapped back when plugged in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir my dad did that part. He is a mechanic.

After you replaced the two sensors with sensors from the dealer. I am assuming the codes were cleared. Are you still getting a Cam Sensor code?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We did clear the codes and occasionally the code p0340 will pop up again. We have been struggling to find the issue with this car for over a week now

How fast does the code return?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When the engine is cool the code will not appear right away but after trying to start the car on once again the code appears

We may need a Oscilloscope to check these sensors. But I can share the Diagnostic steps from the factory Service Manual to help if you like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could this be done with the snap-on Solus edge scanner?

Not familiar with those scanners to say..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician