Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2017 Titan XD. Notice that my front driveline is always

2017 Titan XD. Notice...

2017 Titan XD. Notice that my front driveline is always spinning as well as my front axles while in 2wd. Is this normal?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't even know yet is anything is broken. Just want to know if front driveline and front axles should always be spinning while in 2wd.

3/21/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

This is normal, when you put the truck in 4wd the transfer case puts power to the driveshaft and axles, in the meantime though, they spin with the wheels as long as they are turning. It is completely normal and why you don't have to lock hubs in or anything to switch to 4wd.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the front driveline is spinning from the force from the front wheels spinning correct? Its not an issue of the T-case being locked in 4wd?

Yes, that's exactly it, they are spinning because the wheels are turning. The transfer case is not locked in, so if you were in a situation where you needed the 4x4, you wouldn't have it until you put it in 4wd.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doesnt this put a ton of extra wear and tear on the front CV joints? I ask as the front axles are obviously constantly spinning also.

Not really, no more then a front wheel drive car. Dodge uses the same setup for years. I had a 00 Dakota that worked exactly the same way and never had any issues with the axles or cv joints.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was your Dodge IFS or straight front axle? Titan is IFS in front as Im guessing you know,

Same, independent front axle. The only difference really was the front used torsion bars instead of coil springs. I owned that truck for 16 yrs, in fact, I now own a Ford with a vacuum 4wd system which is giving me issues! I had to unplug the vacuum source which locked the hubs in permanently so 4wd would work.

Was not fun in a foot of snow to not have the 4x4 there when I needed it to plow. Personally, I prefer the setup under the Titan and the Dodge to be honest.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright. Well as long as that is normal then Im fine with it. Its a brand new truck, just bought it this last weekend and within 24 hours of having the truck the front left inner CV joint broke. I did no aggressive driving or off road driving. All simple pavement around my city and neighborhood. Dealership fixed it under warrantee but curious why this would happen so quickly. Im the first owner of the truck, had less than 100 miles on it..

I would have to say it was a faulty part right from the factory to be honest. I see no other reason for that.

Take some tight circles with the truck and make sure you don't feel it binding or hopping while making the corners. If you do, then the transfer case is in 4wd, if not, then I would suspect a bad joint right from Nissan.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Thanks. Is it common for newer model Titan XDs to have a faulty locked t-case?

Not at all, this I am sure is a freak thing, even if it is locked. I just figure it's a quick test to make sure it's not the issue. It will bind up on dry roads if it's locked in. I would think the dealer tech would check it, but sometimes they don't. This way you will know for sure.

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cool. Thats all I got. Thank you and take care

Thank you for the rating and enjoy the new truck!!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician