Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Service engine soon light is on ... on my nissan moreno

Service engine soon light...

Service engine soon light is on ... on my nissan moreno 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Nop

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Nissan Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model of your '06 Nissan?

Murano

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Rest oil and tire rotation maintenance sow one video on you tube to turn it off noting worked till now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOgzwPFR6tw nop .. just need to get car inspected ... so need that light off

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Nissan Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are you experiencing any engine performance symptoms like skipping or lack of power?

No

Ok, Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Sure... I'll wait

Thanks for holding!

When the Service Engine Soon light comes on, this is the on-board computer's way of telling you it sees a problem in one of the monitored systems. Unfortunately, there are literally 100's of parts and sensors monitored in various systems, and to take a "guess" as to which part/sensor in which system is faulty, is virtually impossible. However, if you are not experiencing any drivability issues such as skipping, stalling, shifting problems, etc, then more than likely, the problem is going to lie in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) system. Very commonly, this could be a faulty, loose or missing fuel cap or even putting fuel in while the vehicle is running can set the light. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. Check the top of the fuel filler neck for any signs of damage or debris. Check under the vehicle, around the rear areas of the vehicle, looking for any vacuum lines that have dry-rot cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. If these all check out, then the best thing to do at this point is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "p-codes") read from the on-board computer. These p-codes are what is used as a "starting point" for the diagnosis and will tell which part/sensor, in which system, has the fault. Every single Mechanic's first course of action will be to obtain the p-codes. It's standard diagnostic procedure. Once you get these p-codes you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem and then make the correct repair. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

cap seems to be fine .... lights are still on ...
Please tell me more how will i read p-codes of my 2006 nissan moreno

As I mentioned above- You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc).

You can also purchase a "personal" code reader at most local parts stores, Walmart, etc... for around $50-$60

can we read them online?
Is there any other inspection/diagnosis you want me to do before getting to big stores?
i have found list of p-codes ... now how would i know which code is coming in my car?
here is list of P-codes
https://www.engine-light-help.com/nissan-check-engine-light.html

Unfortunately, no. The scan-tool needs to be plugged into the vehicle's diagnostic port (located under the driver's side dash). The vehicle will "talk" to the scan-tool and provide the scan-tool with the current p-codes. Like I mentioned above, there are literally 100's of parts and sensors monitored in various systems, and to take a "guess" as to which part/sensor in which system is faulty, is virtually impossible. Only inspections I can suggest are the fuel cap, and to look under the vehicle looking for any rubber vacuum lines that may have cracks, holes or disconnections. If nothing is found, a part or sensor has failed and we'll need those p-codes to determine which one.

are you saying that .... AutoZone etc will scan my car using scan-tool for free?

Yes- except in California. They advertise it on TV all the time.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

I just called them .. they said .. it not light for servicing engine .. it just for " Changing Oil" etc.... it has nothing to do with servicing engine .. and we don't scan that.

That's absolutely not true. The scan is for the "Check Engine Light". The "Service Engine Soon" is Nissan's equivalent of "Check Engine".

but if they are not scanning .. what should i do?

Ok. I don't believe I am helping you to the extent that you need. I am going to opt out and forward you to another Tech that may better assist you. Please hold one moment... someone will be right with you...

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I can explain how you can clear that light the proper way. But if the light returns, then it will require a scanner to read what fault code you have to determine direction of repair.

So to clear the Service Engine Soon light ( which is the same as a check engine light ) simply disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then reconnect it. If the light stays on or returns, that means you have a hard fault detected by the computer so a scanner will be required to determine the fault code.

As Ron stated, as long as you do not live in California, Auto Zone and most auto parts stored do offer free scans.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

how will i disconnect battery cable?
just take "ratchets" and disconnect it? .. won't it give me shock?

You only need a 10 mm wrench. You only need to remove the Negative battery cable. It will not shock you

which color is negative battery cable?

Black.. It has the - sign on it

let me try that ...I'll be back on 20-25 min

ok

How did we make out?

Yah ... Service Engine light is gone now .... so does that mean my car Inspection will clear now ..... as they put "R"(repair) sticker on my car due to this light on.... that was the only issue ... it was showing codes P0011 and P0463.

When you clear the Service Engine Soon Light, you will need to drive the Vehicle to set all the Monitors if you are trying to pass for inspection. That normally requires the vehicle to be be driven around 200 to 500 miles.

The P0011 is normally due to low engine oil. So you want to check that.

The P0463 is a fuel level sensor code. So the fuel sender would need to be replaced to resolve that code.

ok .. I'll drive it for week or so... and will see if it comes back.
May be I'll change the oil itself.
any ides .. how much does fuel sensor cost?

It's around 300 bucks for the part and about 1 to 2hours labor

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Oops!
Thanks :)

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com