Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R, 3.5L. 118,000 Miles.

Starting a couple years ago...
Have a 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R, 3.5L. 118,000 Miles. Starting a couple years ago, when sitting in traffic or a drive through for example, the car would start to idle up on its own. This happened whether the AC was on or not or any other load or not on the motor. Finally it got to the point it was idling up so high that it caused the Temp to raise and eventually blew the head gaskets. My friend and I are pretty savy with cars, so we replaced the head gaskets ourselves. Had the heads milled and tested. All was well. Put on a new timing chain, water pump, oil pump, and new valve cover and gaskets while we were there. Also replaced all new plugs, coil packs, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, throttle body, cam position sensors, crank position sensor, ran new ground lines for the motor, just about anything possible to figure out WHY the car is still idling up at a stop. (It causes the engine to overheat because of the high idle, transmission shifts very poorly, very strong odor of unburnt fuel from the exhaust.) Also had the ECM repaired as several solder points were found to be fractured. Did nothing at all to correct the idle problem. We have literally been battling this problem for 2 years with ZERO luck. Have taken it to the Nissan dealer on several occasions, only to have them tell me they cant figure it out and they reset the idle in the ECM to the correct RPM and send me on my way. Within a mile of driving it returns to the higher idle. (by high idle I mean about 1,000-1200 RPM in gear with foot on the brake. The car literally is trying to pull itself away). Something else weve noticed recently, when the engine is cold the problem doesn't exist. After driving the car for a few miles and everything getting up to normal temp....then the problem starts. Problem will continue until the car sits overnight and has another fresh start in the morning. Any suggestions on what the problem is? Even the mechanics at Nissan have said I've basically rebuilt the car brand new with all that Ive replaced. Thanks for your help.
3/21/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

Has anyone checked the accelerator position sensor reading when the problem is happening?

Does the check engine light set (most likely a p0507)?

To The best of my knowledge that has been checked by dealer. Theres never been a check engine light thrown for that. In the past, its thrown the code of "throttle higher than expected"or something along those lines. Weve also done the throttle relearn and accelerator position relearn more times than I can count. Dealer has done them as well. I have an OBD II reader....while the car is idling you can literally watch the RPM's creep up about 500 RPM higher every minute until it reaches 1200 and holds.
God forbid you turn the AC on....it goes even higher then. That's when the overheating starts happening....the car is under such a load just from being held back by having your foot on the brake. The local Nissan dealer has literally given up on me. Its pretty bad when the Senior Master Tech literally shrugs their shoulders at you and says "trade it in"

Will your scan tool monitor the app output signal?

No, its not that advanced of a scanner. Just a monitoring scanner that lets you reset CEL.

I would be curious to see if the computer is seeing a spike in the release position of the accelerator position sensor. If so then that would explain the high idle. No one has suggested replacing the accelerator pedal assembly?

No, no one has ever suggested that. Everyone has always gone down the path of a vaccume leak. I own 3 other 05-06 Altima's (2.5 L and Another SE-R...it's an obsession) so I can swap out the pedal with them very quickly. None of the other cars are having problems like this at all....and they all have much higher mileage.

I would give that a shot. If it's the same exact part it should swap over from one car to the other without needing programming.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
I changed out the accelerator pedal with one from another Altima and it didn’t change the problem at all. Same issue. Any other ideas?