Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Crank no start no spark 2005 altima. I have I have checked…

Customer Question
Crank no start no...

Crank no start no spark 2005 altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have I have checked the pin voltages at the ecm connector

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pin 119 and 120 do not show battery voltage

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 month ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have any codes stored? Was any work done recently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes I have no spark. Coils have 12 volts to red wire, pin 119 and 120 at ECM do not show battery voltage (~200mV). Continuity between pin 119 and 120 to IPDM E/R terminal 18 exists.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Installed new crankshaft sensor as well
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
checked all fuses

Does the engine radiator fans come on when the ignition is turned on?

Where did you get the Crank sensor you installed?

Is this a 2.5 or 3.5?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Radiator fan turns on, 3.5, just acquired vehicle in non running condition, AutoZone crankshaft sensor

If the Radiator fans come on when the key is in the ON position, that is a sign of Ecm failure. Also the Crank Sensors never go on these cars. When it comes to Cam or Crank sensors, these particular sensors never work if you get them after market. You need to get those sensors from the dealer.

But based on the info you provided, if pins 119 and 120 do not have power .. That could be from the IPDM.. Did you check power out of the IPDM at pins 46, 18 & 17?

or if fuse 35 is good in the IPDM?

I am assuming you have a copy of the service manual since you are mentioning pin locations on the Ecm

Do you need that wiring diagram?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correction I plugged ECM in and radiator fan does not turn on with ignition. Pin 17 and 18 show battery voltage but pin 46 shows .8 volts.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All fuses were good don't know which one is 35.

If you are getting voltage at pins 17 and 18.. Then the fuse has to be good. If you are getting power at pins 17 and 18, you want to ohm test pin 18 to pins 119 and 120. That is what powers them.

Do you need the wiring diagram?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah please send diagram

Sure.. 1 sec..

So when you do a Ecm terminal reference check, if you find something not with in spec.. You want to look at the circuit that those pins are on to see what could be the operation of this. So for your issue, if those pins are not powering the Ecm the Ecm won't operate properly. So you could have a wiring issue to the Ecm.

For example. If you look at that diagram. You have a connector E20 to F32. That could simply be a connector not plugged in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The continuity is there between 18 and 120 but I don't know if I misread my meter or not but I am actually not getting battery voltage at 17 and 18 it reads in mV range same as pin 120. (~200mV)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6r75ezy5373h6md/1%20fuse%2035%20IPDM.jpg?dl=0

then lets check fuse 35.. Here is it's location in the IPDM

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I think I'm just tired but I checked it again. Pin 17 and 18 show no voltage (mV range) and pin 46 shows battery voltage as does the fuse 35 both sides shows battery voltage, sorry for confusion.

So if pins 17 and 18 have no power, but fuse 35 has power on each side, that is a internal IPDM issue with the Ecm relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I swap with other similar one close to it to verify

The relays are not meant to be swapped. But sure.. Try it.. Use the fog light one in the image I sent you with the fuse location

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I swapped them with no luck. Same voltage at pin 120 (mV ). I measured 11 volts at 2 pins out of the 4 at where the ECM relay goes into.

After you swap the relay.. Recheck pins 17 and 18.. Cause the Ecm is what triggers that relay ..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plugged in can connector and there is voltage at 17 and 18
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ecm *
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still no start

Did the fans stop coming on when you put the key in the ON position?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fans not on

If the fans are no longer on, see if you can communicate with the Ecm now and see if there is any codes..

Fans not coming on is a indication that the Ecm is now communicating.. So we could be close..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes from bod 2
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes from obd 2

Next thing.. Lets try this. Unplug the Bank 1 Cam sensor and put the original Crank Sensor back in. See if the car will start and idle with the Bank 1 Cam Sensor unplugged. This is only a test. Do not drive it like this. We just want to see if it runs.

If it doesn't, then plug the Bank 1 Cam Sensor back in and unplug the Bank 2 Cam Sensor and try this again and see if it will run.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually have both bank cam sensors unplugged.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me swap the crank sensor out

You have to leave them plugged in!! The car will not start with both of them unplugged.

By having only 1 unplugged, we are checking to see if the timing has jumped. But if you had them both unplugged. Plug them both back in and put the original crank sensor back in and then see if it shows signs of life.

but one more thing. Check the Security light when the key is in the ON position. Make sure that light is not ON SOLID. If it is, let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I put the original crank sensor in and cam sensor plugged in. security light does not stay on with ign on. It might be worth noting that I didn't have the ecm connector in when I checked voltage at pin 17 18 so it may have been a false diagnosis. Also the original crank sensor is of the same brand as the AutoZone one.

When it comes to after market sensors, they are known to cause no start issues and not throw codes. So we may need to change out the Cam and Crank Sensors with OEM ones as a next step. But we also want to make sure everything is plugged in if we are trying to start the car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok let me get other cam sensor in

Get it from the dealer.. No After Market Junk!

also pay attention to the Radiator fans, and let me know if they come back on when the key is in the ON position at any time..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok you got it no junk gonna get all 3 sensors and get back to you. Thanks for your help man!

Your welcome...

It looks almost like a OEM sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hmm they all have that logo on it. Still get am new?

It has to be exact. Some after markets look similar.

Plus now that the fans are no longer coming on, we can check for spark and injector pulse.

I would still try the Cam thing. unplug one and see if it runs. Also may want to also pull a spark plugs and see if they are getting soaked with fuel also.

It's after 12 am now where I am located. So lets continue this tomorrow and get back to me with your results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jay sorry, I will get the parts and check the spark plugs after work it will be some time until i get back to you.

no problem. I am here mainly in the evenings anyway.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Jay I put all the new sensors in and still no spark. Tried alternating cam sensors I listened for clicks at the fuel injectors, I think I heard them.

Did we try each cam sensor 1 at a time unplugged to see if it would start? Still no codes? Can you communicate with the Ecm?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried alternating cam sensors plugging one in at a time cranking car checking spark new and old crank sensor did it all again no codes. My scanner communicates with computer. No spark at all
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Spark plugs smell like fuel

This is sounding like it could be a Ecm issue. Cause it seems like you have injector pulse. But may not have spark.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I test ecm to verify this

You would need a scanner or do a Ecm terminal reference check.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think the timing might be off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a obd scanner what do i check

Hard to say. May need to use a oscilloscope to monitor engine signals.

Can you monitor intake timing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Monitor The signals coming from the crank and cam sensors?

You would use the Oscilloscope to monitor them..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i can do that but it will take a few days

I am actually working on another question with all the exact same issues but it's a 350z. We just found something with the IPDM. So let me get you the Ecm terminal reference values and lets see if your has the same thing.

This is a v6 right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ya v6 3.5

Give me a min..

What I do is print this out and bring it to the car and get a pen also. So when you back probe the Ecm and take these readings you write them all down and refer back when your done and note which ones are all out of spec if any. Once you do that. If you have more than one out of spec, that is when you tell me and I will look to see if those circuits have something in common which may be causing your issue.

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 11 days ago

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician