Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to replace my transmission speed sensor. I have the…

I need to replace...

I need to replace my transmission speed sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

I have the parts i dont know where it is located

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2005 nissan murano s

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just trying to replace the sensor

3/21/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

sensors on the transmission are extremely rare. What code number do you have?

hello

Hi.. What code are you getting exactly?

What do u mean by code
I can't remember

You have multiple sensors. Some people miss-understand the code and think it's a trans issue when it's not.. That is also why I was asking for the code..

P1574

Thank you.. Give me a min.

Thank you.. That code is for the ASCD Vehicle Speed Sensor. This is for the Cruise Control for the cruise control to operate.

Possible causes does not include any sensors on the transmission

This system uses the ABS wheel sensors for proper operation. It takes that signal.

If not that, the Unified Meter, ABS Actuator, TCM , Ecm are causes or a wiring issue.

So this would require the proper steps to isolate your issue. You can't just change a part for this code. But at the same times, this code won't cause any running or drive-ability issues. Just the cruise control won't work

Ok. So do u know how I can locate the transmission speed sensor .

There is no transmission speed sensor. The ABS sensors on each wheel is how the vehicle see's vehicle speed.

I was told there is a sensor below starter was the vehicle speed sensor

That is incorrect.

There is a input speed sensor which reads the internal pulley speeds of the CVT transmission. But if your looking for a sensor that reads vehicle speed, the ABS system monitors that..

Is the input speed sensor the same a VSS

This model does not have a VSS sensor. Those are sensors that would go into older transmissions before CVT. Those would read and determine vehicle speed. Since there are more control units, they no longer monitor vehicle speed from the transmission. The ABS systems wheel sensors read vehicle speed and that signal is shared with the transmission and to the Ecm to show vehicle speed.

Nissan Murano CVT 2005 don't have VAS?
Nissan Murano CVT 2005 don't have VSS

Correct. You do not have a VSS sensor. ( Vehicle Speed Sensor )

all 4 ABS wheel sensors are used to determine Vehicle Speed.

But while I was driving the RPM was in 4000 while I was going 45mph.the cruise control was not working. It was like the vehicle stayed on one speed

As I first stated, this was something that would cause the Cruise Control not to work. I did list the items that could cause this code, but will require diagnostics. The cruise control could be triggering this code if there is a fault in it's operation.

The problem popped up after the valve body assembly was changed

That is new information.. So who did the valve body? Where you get the Valve body?

A mechanic changed the valve body , I bought the valve body from a local Nissan parts dealer

What was the reason for the valve body to be changed? Also did you get the CVT fluid from the dealer also?

Lack of power accelerating with code P0868

That code doesn't even recommend a Valve body. It's either a solenoid on the valve body, or transmission pressure sensor or a line pressure control issue.

I looked at the diagnostic steps and none of the step refer to replacing the Valve body. Mainly replace the Transmission.

I need a new transmission

The proper steps need to be done to determine that. But I can say if the incorrect fluid was used, it can certainly cause transmission failure cause it does not have the proper friction material in the fluid and can cause the CVT belt to slip

Yeah... That is the proper fluid the NS-2

Well, this type of issue you are having, was it diagnosed by this mechanic? or the dealer?

Well, I hate to say it, but it sounds like it was not diagnosed properly. One of the first checks is to do a transmission pressure check. Do you know if he did that? This requires a special gauge I know dealers have.

Let me know..

No he hooked it up on a computer . What are the implications if a TCM is not programmed after a valve body change

The Tcm has all the programming. There is no programming when changing the valve body.

The P0838 code, the first thing it asks you to do is a line pressure test on the transmission. That is the first thing!! It wants to go over all the mechanical operates of the transmission to verify the internals are good be fore looking at other components. So that would be the next step. I would have a transmission pressure test done and if it shows there is a internal issue, I would be extremely upset at this mechanic!!

You do need to clear the corrective learning and deterioration from the TCM.

Would it affect the drivability of the vehicle if the collective learning is not cleared? What is the worst case scenario if it fails pressure test?

The corrective learning needs to be cleared so the transmission could re-adapt to it's operation and your driving.

Worst case, if the line pressure test fails, that is a mechanical issue in the transmission causing the issue which would require the transmission to be replaced.

do you think my vehicle is acting up because TCM was not cleared?

I would certainly start there.. But if it acts up, then I would do the pressure test

Thank you I appreciate your help.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician