Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2012 Nissan burns oil and lately the engine is shaking…

Customer Question
Second opinion] my 2012...

Second opinion] my 2012 Nissan burns oil and lately the engine is shaking and jerking.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Done it regularly. Just changed it 30 minutes ago the shaking and jerking has been going on for a couple of days

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Nissan?

The ses light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

2.00 ltr engine model sr I put some sea foam in the oil 50 km before changing the oil. Put sea foam in the gas tank too.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car has done 170,000 km.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve

. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

if this is a diesel model then also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt