Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1987 300zx just temporarily stopped running abruptly and…

My 1987 300zx just...

My 1987 300zx just temporarily stopped running abruptly and a light flashed which I can’t find in the owners manual. Can you tell me what that light means?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

When it came on the car died. It’s the window above the other indicators on the right side of the dash analog

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300ZX yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. This just happened.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No mam

3/20/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

There is a few things I have seen that can cause these cars to just stop running abruptly. I will get into that in a min. Can you take a picture of the light you are seeing so I can identify that for you?

It’s not in the book. Didn’t know it was there until it came on and the car shut down. It did it twice but now is running ok. The light is just below and to the right of the speedo. The other lights below it are obvious. But as soon as the light came on for a microsecond the car shut down.

If you turn the key to the ON position when all the warning lights come on, do you see it then?

I would need a picture of it. It's been a long times since I have worked on one of these older Z's..

But if it's stalling and restarting. That is most commonly caused by the Distributor.

It is the security light!

Ok..

So the stalling issue is most commonly caused by the Distributor if it stalls like someone has turned off the key on you when driving. If it stalls like it runs out of gas, that is normally the Mass Air Flow Sensor

Thank you Jay. It cut off like you turned the key. It did it twice within 30 seconds. I pulled over, waited a minute, back to normal. I’ll have the distributor looked at. Very kind sir.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician