Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Stalling while driving or idle. Check engine is on. It will…

Stalling while driving or...

Stalling while driving or idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Yes check engine is on. It will stall randomly.. Driving or idle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2006 altima 2.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cleaning tps

3/20/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Do you happen to know what code is being stored?

Also, does it start right up after the stalling or does it have to cool off?

No i dont. Sometimes it starts up and the stall again. Sometimes it wont start.. It does crank
I would rather chat. I am at work

No call is needed, give me just a moment to type my reply.

Thanks

It sounds like you have a bad cam or crank sensor. If one of these stops sending the signal to the computer, it will stall and kill the engine. Since it won't always restart right away, that tells me one of these sensors is getting hot and the car has to cool before it's working again.

I would stop by a parts store and have the codes read. They do this free and this should tell you which one of these sensors should be replaced. This is a common symptom for both of the sensors, so I am sure it's one of them, just not sure which one.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

That is wierd because sometimes it wont start even though the car sat all night
Also if i remove air filter cover and allow straight air it stall instantly

That actually points more to a crank sensor then the cam sensor to be honest.

I am betting you have 2 codes in there. P0335 and P0725, both are for the crank sensor.

That just means the mass air flow sensor is working

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Oh ok well sounds good thank you i will go get the codes thanks again

You're very welcome and you can post them here with me if you need more help.

Happy to help.

Thank you for the rating!