Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My security indicator light is on while switch is in the on…

My security indicator light...

My security indicator light is on while switch is in the on position

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Nissan Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Car starts with inserting intelligent key

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Nissan?

2013 maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Reading the manual. I replaced the fob battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Guess not

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today
you can only start the car when you put the key in the key slot correct
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it starts fine as long as key is in the car
What color is the light
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The security indicator light is on when switch is "on". My manual says vehicle immobilzer system is malfunctioning if this happens
What color is the light
Is it red green or yellow
I know what the light look like I just need to know what color the same light can have different colors different meaning
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again. It is red
If the car start and this light is no then you will need to get the system scan for codes this is most likely cause by key antenna but you need the code to find out the location of the one that is bad as there are 3 of them inside the car
Do you have any more question
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
basically I paid $20 to be told to take it to dealership? Not being said. Just asking. I was trying to read some previous questions about it when woman pops up and so quickly connected me to this paid service. Not good business. I could have and did read that much in my manual
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

New expert here, I can better explain if needed?

Let me know if you still need Help, i am happy to give more details.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you. If your answer is something I can read in my owners manual, reading it is free. I read it before turning to internet for answers and was not looking to pay when I get to this site. Was trying to read blogs where others had already asked the same question
Trying to read previous questions pertaining to the same light might not be relevant to your vehicle or ignition Type.What you must understand is the Nissan has used the same Nats security light for years and years most commonly on a regular ignition with the mechanical key this light would indicate the key has lost its registration there for The engine will crank but not start
Your issue is different because according to you apparently the engine will start sometimes, The car wouldn’t start if it was having an obvious key recognition issue
I think what Clifton was trying to say in a much less in formative manner is that your specific situation will require somebody who can read immobilizer information and since you do not have that capability he did not want to waste your time or your effort’s on any specific tests.
Basically outside of the scope of a high-level scanner all you can really do at this point is replace the battery in the remote and disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes to reset the BCM and see if that corrects the issue
There is no magic answer for this one unfortunately the majority of things we see so much of that we can pretty much diagnosed them over the net because it’s so common or we can have the owner use a voltmeter or proper equipment to diagnose it with us
Your exact symptoms are very uncommon and will require more in-depth diagnosis. That diagnosis will require BCM and a mobilizer testing, These are both low-voltage modules that are very sensitive to testing and you cannot replace them yourself because if you do they require a new key to be registered by a dealer or a mobile locksmith
I’m not 100% sure what you were hoping to receive here but other than this there is just not much more to offer unfortunately
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The light comes on, but goes off when car starts. It starts without fail, every time. When I go to exit the car, instead of "beeping", there is a continuous "beep" like I left the keys in. And the security light flashes
Is the beep constant like when the headlights are on? Or consistent with the warning beep on the cluster
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Like when headlights are left on
Thanks, ***** ***** allow you to lock the doors when you exit the vehicle.Brb
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can lock the doors. Really nothing has changed performance wise in the car. Just the flashing security light and the sound when exiting the car.
Well a flashing security light with ignition off is normal, the beep not unless you have the fog lights on when in auto, key or trunk open, or a key inside the vehicle when exiting or attempting to lock.
That’s just pre-armed status of the NATS system. The beeping is an intelligent key warning feature. For example, car is not in park, fog lights on, key inside etc.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I tell if fog lights are on?
The fog light collar on the headlight switch.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good call Jake
That work? Or you want to try it and get back with me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already tried it. You got it right. My grandson was in my search for about 60 seconds last week ��������
Lol, if there is a button kids will find it!!! I have two 5 year old girls that love to “play in my truck” everyday when I get home :)
If you need help with anything in the future related to any Nissans you own feel free to ask for Jake, I am happy to help.If you don’t mind all I ask is please leave a kind rating for me.
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Definitely will do Jake. Thank you
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician