Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Well I have the knock sensor code on my 04 frontier. I think…

Well I have the...

Well I have the knock sensor code on my 04 frontier. I think may be caused by low fuel pressure... Just don't know what to do next. I have bought a new pump..

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

200k and I bought it bout three months ago... I changed plugs and oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just little things still runs very rough then just cuts off.. I changed the starter also it went bad after the truck went bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I guess not

3/19/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Do you have any other codes with this code?

No more codes

Ok, does it buck or misfire before it cuts off?

The knock sensor won't even turn the check engine light on, so it's usually not a code to worry about.

Do you know what the fuel pressure actually is?

I don't know but I can stop it with my thumb...

Ok, it's hard to know if this is causing the problem or not. The fuel pressure on this one runs about 36-38 psi.

Does the truck start right back up after stalling or do you have to let it cool down?

It will try and may turn over briefly.. but the motor is bucking

Ok

My opinion is the distributor might be failing. I see this a lot on these. I would advise a fuel pressure test first t make sure it's getting the proper fuel pressure. If it isn't, then I would replace the pump. If it is, I think I would have to go after the distributor to be honest.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Ok I have a distributor also last question is that something I can do myself without messing something up? And thank you

You can, just make sure you mark the rotor position when you remove the old distributor. use a tire crayon or something to put a mark that you can align the new rotor with. That will usually get you close, then you should put a timing light on it and set the time if it feels laggy or anything when you are driving it.

Thank you for the rating!

Ok thank you and you are welcome
You were right the distributor fixed it thank you so much you saved me so much money!!! I have been dealing with this for over a month..just got it back from a mechanic who couldn't fix it

You are very welcome and sometimes the experience from dealer techs pays off. We see certain things so often that it is normal where independent guys are good, but they don't see it repeat so much.

Glad I could help and thanks again for the rating!