Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've just cleaned the electrical section at the end of the…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm Martin, I've...

Hi, I'm Martin, I've just cleaned the electrical section at the end of the pedal arm and am refitting it to the car. I've done this a few years ago successfully. I'm not sure of the learning procedure and not sure if it went back together in the correct position as it moved when I took it apart, I've put it together square with the housing plate.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Oh yeah, 2003 2.2d

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am. trouble started when I accelerated hard and then the car wont rev, so took apart and cleaned (as before a few years ago) and not sure of re-fit procedure

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery fairly new and ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dont think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/19/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Your talking about the electronic accelerator pedal position relearn correct? Just curious do you have a code for it?

no

What electrical procedure are you inquiring about exactly then?

Also what model Nissan is this?

2003 2.2d
xtrail

Ok.. So you are looking for the Idle Relearn steps? What procedure are you looking for exactly?

when I plug the pedal arm back in is there a procedure I have to go through ie turning ignition on and off to re-set it?
or depressing the pedal?

What pedal arm are you talking about?

The accelerator pedal?

the accelerator pedal, which I have unplugged cleaned and now replaced.

Ok.. Hang on while I get that for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uu65yfc71o5rut/1%20app%20sensor%20relearn.jpg?dl=0

Those are the steps. How ever, if your not getting any codes, you may want to check your brake switch. If the computer seeing a brake signal it goes into what they call brake override. This will kill throttle response. So if your a two foot driver or if the brake switch is sticking , that can cause this issue also.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

hi, I've done that, it starts and the revs drop and stops.(tried twice) I'm not sure if I put the sensor back in the correct position as it moved when I took it apart so I could not record it's exact position. I have put it back square to the housing plate but think I might have upset the idle now.

If there is a idle issue, that is controlled by the electronic throttle chamber. Not the Accelerator Pedal..

also it wont rev if I try, it just cuts out. I have cleaned and replaced this a couple of times before when I had the problem and it hs been fine since, but that was a few years ago.

It's not recommended to take the accelerator or the throttle chamber apart. Do you have any fault codes? or warning lights when the car is runnign?

no fault lights, runs fine, just stopped reving tyesterday after I had to accelerate hard. I Googled it before and learnt to clean the terminals at the end of the accelerator pedal, that worked twice before.

There could be a issue with the throttle chamber, have you ever cleaned that?

I only cleaned the sensor at the end of the accelerator pedal

If the vehicle starts and then stalls, that maybe something else. So there is other things that would need to be checked.

is the idle out of whack because I've not aligned the sensor correctly?

The computer and throttle chamber control base idle. So I don't think it's a accelerator pedal issue at all if you only cleaned the electrical connector.

I unclipped the connector and took the pedal arm off. undid two screws and took the plastic housing off then took the arm that has pawls on it off and cleaned the connecting plate that has the electric tracks on it, I done think I've alligned everything back correctly like I did before

The arm of the connector?

If you took more of the sensor apart, it's not recommended to be tampered with as you could do damage to the Ecm.

nissan want £465 for a replacement which is ridiculous, so cleaning it was all it needed to fix it,so thats what I did and it was fine for years, the problem happened again yesterday so I have repeated the clean but I'd like to know about realigning the parts when putting them back together as I think they moved before I could mark where they should be.

Nissan does not show any information on the internals of the parts cause it's not suppose to be tampered with. So I can not provide you with that information.

I will opt out and open this question back up to see if any other experts can help you with that..