Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm getting codes 171 174 and 420 it is idling just a little…

Customer Question
I'm getting codes 171...

I'm getting codes 171 174 and 420 it is idling just a little bit rough

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Intermittent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2006 xterra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Possibly, although just now becoming you what the codes mean and trying to decide what my next step is I checked the vacuum lines for obvious and didn't see anything else

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At this point I don't think so. This is about all I know.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/18/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, you have codes that indicate a lean condition and additionally one for the catalytic converter.You need to first fix the lean condition and clear the codes to see if the catalyst code returns.
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The codes P0171 & P0174 is a Lean condition. Most commonly caused by the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor not metering air properly. This lean condition can cause damage to the Catt Converter. Which is the P420 code. That is Bank 1 catt Converter. I would have the MAF sensor checked for your issue to see if it's metering air properly. If it's not metering air properly, then it should be replaced with one from the dealer. Do not get the MAF sensor after market. After Market MAF sensors never work right. As for the Catt I would clear out all codes and see if that code returns. If it does, then that also would need to be replaced.

Do you have any more questions on this?