Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 Murano idles fine but when you step on the gas it…

Customer Question
My 2003 Murano idles...

My 2003 Murano idles fine but when you step on the gas it won't rev past 2500 and if put in drive will go a max of about 20mph. The check engine light came on and the error code said intermittent cylinder firing. What is wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet. Actually its at my mechanic's and he is stumped. The car was driving up a hill at 65mph and began to lose power. Speed dropped to 40mph and kept falling and I pulled off the highway. I had it towed to the mechanic and he is thinking it could be one of the timing chains

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

After he looked it over and added some oil he started it and drove it but could not get above 20mph.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/18/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Can you please get and post the fault code numbers not the description.
P0300 is the only code. My mechanic thinks cam phasers are out of position.
Nissan Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
I think the deeper in the memory of the vehicles there's probably more fault codes but just a generic scan tool can't see it you don't have any kind of camshaft crankshaft allocation faults is the weird thing and that would be present if they were out of time, however the description would happen when you pull off the highway is definitely what would happen if they were out of phase.Did he check I mean it's an easy check to see if the cams are out of phase.