Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

With regard to the 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5SL ECM replacement…

Customer Question
With regard to the 2011...
With regard to the 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5SL ECM replacement we discussed earlier today I need to be sure I'm ordering the right one.It is my understanding that there are 2 important numbers needed to assure the right replacement unit is obtained, the part number and the MEC number. In my case the part number obtained from the dealer's quote is 23710-ZX58A and the MEC number obtained from the tag on the ECM is MEC114-080B1 1129A.Three questions:
1. Am I correct that both these numbers must match the used ECM that I buy?
2. Is the "1129A" part of the MEC number and, if so, is it important that this also match?
3. Are there any important questions that I should ask the seller to help reduce the risk of receiving a bad unit?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/19/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you are looking to replace the Ecm, the outer number are not the part number. The first number the dealer gave you is the part number. Plus the Ecm comes blank so it would require it to be programmed. All keys ( remotes ) will also need to be programmed when the Ecm is replaced as well. So my recommendation is to do it as a 1 stop visit at the dealer so they can program the Ecm and all your keys for you so you don't deal with outside vendors which could screw up or prolong and end up costing your more money to do this.

When it comes to Ecm's, you don't want to mess around and try to get a used on. Used Ecm's if you get the wrong one or one that doesn't work properly ( cause it's used ) becomes a total waste of time and money since they require so much programming when installing. So I would do it once and do it right. Replace it with a new one and have the dealer do it for you since they have all the proper equipment to do it.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Hi Jay. I was trying to do a follow up question for a previous mechanic but thanks for responding. Maybe you can assist me. FYI, the reason I'm asking all these questions and looking for a cheaper way out is that I just don't have the money the dealer is asking for the unit. Period. (More FYI... I'll be pretty unavailable all day today and back home this evening - PDT).Here's my original question with a few extra details added for clarity:
---------------------------------------------------------------
I took my 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5SL into the local Nissan dealer the other day to have the ECM reprogrammed. I replaced the MAF sensor twice and the Service Engine Soon light keeps coming back on (P0101).The dealer was not able to get their computer to talk to the ECM and the suspicion is a bad ECM but the car runs fine except for the light. The vehicle hit a deer some years ago and the damage was right where the ECM is located. The dealer wants $777 for a new ECM (Part #23710-ZX58A) and another $289 to install and program it and there's no guarantee that it will solve the problem.I found a used ECM with a lifetime warranty for $115 online (see link below) and I'd like to know if there are any drawbacks to purchasing this used part. I know I'll still have to have the unit reprogrammed. Are there any less expensive alternatives other than the Nissan dealer? I've heard that they are the only ones who can program the ECM.https://www.tomsforeign.com/ecu-ecm-computer-nissan-altima-11-899658/
-----------------------------------------------------
Add the question you received here.

If the dealer did the diagnostics, they should have be able to verify the Ecm is the issue.

So question.. If you clear this code and drive the car.. ( no turning it off ) does the code return? or does the code return only after the car was turned off and restarted?

Sorry. Didn't see that you had replied. I'll have to check that tonight. I'm not sure. How far should I have to drive before the light comes back on if it's going to do so?

a sign of a bad Ecm is if the code remains off when driving and only returns after the car has been turned off and restarted.

The code comes on while driving but not right at startup. Also, the car has gone into "limp mode" twice in the last 6 weeks or so. It lasts 10 - 15 minutes and then the car works great again. The limp mode does not correspond to when the light comes on. It's been on constantly. Mileage is good (around 30) as is performance.
Because the dealer could not access the ECM with their computer I'm afraid they're taking a shot in the dark (at my expense) that its the ECM. Maybe its the plug where they connect the computer???
I'm running short on time this morning and have to leave soon. I hope we can continue this tonight or tomorrow.

Tonight would be fine. I will be online around 8 pm EST..