Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5s and the passenger airbag…

Hi I have a 2010...
Hi I have a 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5s and the passenger airbag light on the dash is always illuminated indicating that the passenger airbag is off whether someone is in the seat or not. Also the airbag light by the speedometer blinks constantly. when i put it in diagnostic mode I get 1 long light followed by 5 quick blinks of the airbag light by the speedometer then it repeats. My question is how do I turn off the airbag light and what does the flashing sequence mean?. I'm trying to turn off the light and need a starting point.I have tried the reset procedure several times(15 ) and it does not work. Thank you.
3/18/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Is this what your flash pattern looks like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its more like first light on while i count to 5(regular count not long 1 Mississippi count)then off for 3 seconds then 5 quick blinks then off for 3 seconds then repeats from beginning

This is the only flash chart with 5 quick flashes. If your flash code does not match then we need a scan tool to get the codes. Do you know someone with a CONSULT tool?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no i don't know anyone with a CONSULT tool. supposed to take it to the dealer to scan it but its $150 just to scan trying to figure it out without doing that but guess i might have to. I only have a basic scanner and the CarMD not sure if CarMD will do it. If that is the correct flash pattern what would it mean and what would i need to check? also do you know where the passenger occupancy sensor is located or why the passenger airbag off light wont register someone sitting it the seat?

Flash codes just get us closer to the issue not like codes that point right to it. Below are links showing what code you may be seeing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc8773yngwt268d/15.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7mqiqxkjx7pc4v/151.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ixosv47ups68p7/152.png?dl=0

My bet is the occupant classification control unit under the passenger seat is your issue here.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you tell me where exactly that sensor is located and what it looks like. i took the bottom seat cushion apart and only found something called a dummy heater with a white plug.the yellow plug went to the side curtain airbag in the seat.also if i have the dealer scan it and give you the codes they get would you be able to tell me exactly what i need to replace?

With the codes I can help more.

Use this link for the rest of your follow up. https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3qpu7ipdc1jcqz/10os.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i see the diagram but when i took apart the seat i couldn't find it only a pad labeled dummy heater. would you have a picture of the pad and sensor by chance. guess ill take the seat apart again tomorrow and take pictures of what im talking about and try to send it to you.

Those are the only pictures I have in the repair guides.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician