Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Nissan xterra cranks when cold dies when heats up

2000 Nissan xterra cranks...

2000 Nissan xterra cranks when cold dies when heats up getting code p1320 Distributor has been replaced by a certified mechanic distributor and rotor button have been replaced twice since then. Would appreciate any help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant level is fine. No leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, we paid close to $1000 a couple of years ago to have the complete distributor replaced along with fuel filter, 2 fuel injectors, new wires and plugs. We thought it may be the distributor cap. Took it off and it had a scratch across the center from one side to the other so we replaced it along with the rotor button. Vehicle started ran fine for a couple of days now it is back to starting when cold dies when hot. Not sure what happened pulled it in driveway after work came put next morning with in the teens weather and it wouldn't start after we got it started it would die after it got warm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Did you any noise from behind the distributor?
No, no noise heard. Was running fine, parked it, went out next morn and it wouldn't start, replaced distributor cap, rotor but ran but when gets hot dies. Idles at around 20 rpms until warms up then idles down to 15 shortly after it dies.
Well for starters that is idling considerably too high. Is that the ONLY code you have?Have you all inspected the intake manifold grounds and the battery grounds?
they were clean. Timing belt was also replaced when distributor was replaced at about 6000 Miles ago. Plugs and wires were replaced at that time. It's getting fuel but we tested the plugs after it died while warm and the plugs aren't getting spark at that time. It cools down and gets spark and starts.
There is only one other code and it's the evap canister code but it's had that for over a year.
One additional thing I should mention not sure whether it has something to do with it or whether it's just coincidence. The last thing that was going on before all of this started was my husband was using the vehicle to boost a lawn mower battery and I do remember him saying the jumper cable connectors touch while connected to the battery.
We checked fuses inside and under hood all are good
Ok, if you confirmed no spark, I assume you verified the rotor head is turning when cranking the engine?I know you replaced the belt but let’s just make sure something didn’t fail.
Touching the cables generally just sparks and causes no harm if it’s real quick. It can blow fuses and stuff but rarely damages the ECM unless the cables are put on backwards on accident.
Rotor head is turning while cranking. Spark is present when engine is cold. When engine heats up and dies spark is no longer present until engine cools.
Thanks, ***** ***** that it happens once warmed up leads me to believe it could be related to the crank sensor since the distributor has been replaced.
Where is the crank position senor located on a 2000 xterra 6 cyl and how might I test it?
It’s right where the bellhousing of the transmission meets the block.You need to test it with a scope on when the engine won’t start. Your looking for the reference to fall off.
OK wemail will check it in the morning. It's 1 am here so we can't check it anymore til morning but will get back with you later in this day.
Bed time here also! Cya later
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We replaced the crankshaft sensor today but it still doesn't crank.
No problem, you mean it won’t start? Or it’s not even cranking now?
It won't start. It turns over but that's as far as it will go. Distributor is turning but for some reason there is no spark at the plugs.
It sounds as if it's just out of gas even though it's not. Question: A few days before this started my husband did run out of gas in the vehicle and I know on some vehicles this can cause problems. It's a highly doubtful in my mind but could this have anything to do with it?
Well if you confirmed there is no spark, then I wouldn’t be worrying about fuel at this point. Both spark and injector pulse come from the distributor.Since you replaced the cranks sensor, confirmed the distributor rotor is spinning, and have power to the distributor, then it’s safe to say at this point your distributor is bad AGAIN.
If you want the complete distributor diagnostic pathway, just for your peace of mind I can send it to you.
please send it to me because we paid a mechanic a little over 1000$ to have the distributor replaced along with two fuel injectors and an oxygen sensor.

Yea, if they used an after market alternator it would not surprise me if its bad already.

Also please be sure you leave me a kind rating, otherwise i get no credit from the site for the time I spent with you.

I apologize you already rated :)

Let me know that you got the files!

I got the files. What irritates me the most about the whole thing this is what it was doing when we took it to the mechanic. I understand it's an older vehicle, I expect issues for that reason but to pay money to a mechanic and have a temporary fix irritates me and when we went to pick it up it still wouldn't run had to bring it home on a roll back..... He changed the Dist but never bothered to time the thing.
Yea, I get your frustration.But to have to pick up a non running vehicle after they threw $1000 in it is a bit rediculous.I think I would use a different shop if that’s the case. Now the distributor could not be timed if it was not running though.
He said it wasnt running due to what he believed was an oil compressiin problem and wanted to drop the oil pan and charge me another 400$ I said no brought the vehicle home on a roll back. It wouldn't start because he put the distributor in wrong. He put it in on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. We put it in right it started up and then we timed it. I just got off the phone with him. The distributor is still under warranty but he wants me to have the vehicle towed to him for him to check but here's his catch... his labor is only warranted for 90 days and if I do I have to pay his labor again for replacing his bad distributor. Labor that I've already paid once.
Sorry, guess I was venting there didn't mean to take up your time.
To put this nicely.The man don’t need to be working on vehicles if he needs to drop an oil pan to check compression or oil rings.A simple compression or leakdown tests can rule al this out, but why anyone would want to look into compression when they DONT EVEN HAVE SPARK, is beyond my understanding.
Yeah, that's what I said too!! AND that's how it ended up being towed home 1000$ later with no better results.
That’s crazy
it is... but anyway I guess I'm going to buy a distributor since I absolutely refuse to pay him twice to put it in... I will let you know the results. Thank you for your help.
Replaced the distributor today and it fired right up. So far so good. Thanks for your help!!
Awesome, glad your rolling!If you need help in the future come here first haha :)
Absolutely will thank you
Your welcome.