Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have you heard of a key transponder causing a fuse to blow…

Customer Question
Have you heard of a...
Have you heard of a key transponder causing a fuse to blow in a vehicle, particularly 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, because the person holding the key transponder was standing close to the vehicle with the key transponder? I have a friend who owns a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. The vehicle was allegedly broken into and when my friend reported vandalism and theft to his car insurance company, the investigating adjuster stated that it was the owner's fault for standing to close to the vehicle with the key transponder which caused an electrical fire to the vehicle. The adjuster is adamant and firm that this was the cause despite my friend being no where near the vehicle at the time of the fire. I can not find any literature online about this being a problem EVER. I would just like to hear it from someone with experience if this sounds like a possibility or if this could never happen. Thank you in advance for your help.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
That’s physically impossible. The insurance adjuster has lost his mind!
The transponder doesn’t do anything. The BCM recognizes it but you have to prompt the locks or ignition manually
Thank you Jake! Question: would you be interested in writing a short letter summarizing your expertise and your expert opinion on this? If so, what would you charge? I am actually a paralegal helping a client. Thanks.
Not really sure I need to write anything to be honest, Nissan service manual literature explains fairly clearly how the intelligent key system works. I’d be happy to send you service manual information if you need, not to mention fuses circuits PREVENT shorting and wire overheating by blowing when there is an excessive amperage draw. So I hope he didn’t mention fuses in his report?The intelligent key is no different than a standard FOB which has been since the early 90’s. The only significant difference is the proximity sensor in the key, this allows the BCM to recognize the key within about 8 feet so that the owner can enter the vehicle after pressing the entry button on the handle.I mean you give leave the key inside the car for a year, it’s not going to do anything unless someone prompts it too, and even then unlock signals are controlled by a very low voltage 5v pulse. I honestly can’t even fathom what on earth the adjuster is suggesting without seeing his actual report, seems embarrassingly bizarre on his part.
Let me see if I can get his report.
Sounds good, I’m gonna crash! It’s late here.