Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Murano slowed to a crawl as I was going up a large and…

My Murano slowed to...

My Murano slowed to a crawl as I was going up a large hill and now it seems that the battery is not charging

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I didn't have a voltmeter with me but I did take it out to check the starter and didnt see any leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Murano?

04 I replaced the front valve cover and 4 of the 6 ignition coils this morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have been doing as much work as possible myself but this just happened an hour ago and I didn't have many useful tools with me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

04 170,000. bought it about a year ago. I don't know how old the battery is or the alternator. I had a misfire when I started out this morning (I had only replaced the front valve cover and the front three ignition coils) so I hooked up the code reader. the code was for cylinder 5 snd I hsd the other three coil pacls with me so I went ahhead and changed cyclinder 5 as well. It started right up and made it about 200 yards before iit slowed as if it wasnt getting any fuel. whn i pulled ovier it was apparent that the battery was also not chargng -:? k

3/18/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, these Muranos had issues with the alternator ground cables and had a recall. Probably been done already but I can check if you give me your VIN
Also I need to know if you have a volt meter you can use?
I do have a volt meter. I just didnt have it on me when i broke down. I saw the recall but again I had left it before getting the VIN. Im having it towed to me right now and ill check it out.
Well when you get it there, charge the battery and start the engine.Once it’s started I want you to turn the headlights and rear defrost on and check the charge rate at the positive battery terminal.
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey, its poor timing to have a breakdown. I actually went out of state this morning and wont be back untill late next week. Ill go ahead and do the rating so you can get paid but can i request you when i get back to town?