Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Thanks for the ping! 2009 Nissan Armada, driver side front…

Hey, thanks for the...

Hey, thanks for the ping! 2009 Nissan Armada, driver side front window; am replacing motor, proved that switch works. Window stuck in down position. Need to know how to force window into up position so that I've got room to replace that motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

What's that got to do with the window??

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?

Do you know anything about this problem, or are you trolling for work??

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Window answer, please...

3/16/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Do you have your new window regulator yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only ordered motor, is not here yet, coming this afternoon.

Alright, it could also be the regulator stuck, the cables can fray and stick in the cable sheath, but if you don't hear any noise at all when you hit the switch and your sure the motor is getting power, then I would agree it's probably just the motor. I tend to order an assembly just in case the regulator cables show wear. Here is a picture of your window regulator in your armada, you see the two ears sticking off the metal posts, You'll see two 10mm screws that actually hold the glass to those two ears, and there are access holes in the door skin to get to those two 10 mm bolts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Felt around inside, cables feel smooth. Have confirmed + and - 12V at switch/motor connect when operating switch. No sound whatsoever from motor. Failed in down position. Window might have been a bit sluggish before failure, but nothing indicated that failure was imminent. So, I have to remove window from regulator?

Yes, you will see two 10mm screws that hold the glass to the regulator in those ears that stick off the sides of the regulator.

There are access holes, in the door skin about 1/2 way up in the window travel that you can get to the 10mm screws straight on, but I believe you can reach in and get to them with a swivel 1/4 inch 10mm socket even if it's stuck in the down position.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, cool! I'm not with car right now. So, remove screws to release regulator from window, then window is free to slip up/down without restriction? Sounds easy. Is reconnecting just as easy?

Yes, pretty much, once you pull those screws out it's just free glass you can move up and down in the window channel by hand. put it all the way up in the window frame, then cut two pieces of cardboard out, put the cardboard over the top of the window frame, and put two pieces of duct tape on the window glass and loop it over the top of the window frame to hold the glass up. I like putting the cardboard over the window frame so I don't put duct tape right on the paint so I don't have to take 10 minutes getting the tape residue off. That should do it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll give it a go, thanks for your help!

Absolutely, If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician