Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My daughter's transmission is slipping and low fluid. Smells…

My daughter's transmission is...

My daughter's transmission is slipping and low fluid. Smells slightly burnt. If she tops off the fluid, can that buy her some time? Should she try a flush before she lets someone talk her into a rebuild, or is that a waste of money? She has a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder with 80K or less miles. Lightly driven, hardly any highway miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

She just noticed it yesterday. Put some fluid in today, but I don't know if she full topped it off. Money is a definite issue, so we need cheapest fix possible for now.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Nissan?

Pathfinder.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

She put trans fluid in. Not able to do much more than that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does burnt smell automatically mean a rebuild, or are there other things we can do that wont be a waste of money?

3/15/2018
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Burnt fluid is an indication of worn bands and clutches and does indicate it will need a rebuild.

I would not waste money on a flush.

The only thing I would recommend doing until you can afford a rebuild or replacement is to add either Lucas Transmission additive or Lubegard transmission additive to the fluid. This will help reduce the slippage for 3-6 months and buy you some time.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** answer I wanted, but it makes sense. How much should she budget for rebuild? How long will her car be out of use?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant during the rebuild--how long will that take?

HI,

Parts and labor should be $2200 to $2500.

Depending upon a shop's schedule when she brings it in, 3-5 days.

eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
eric
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager