Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

08 Altima with smart key. All keys were lost & tried to

08 Altima with smart...

08 Altima with smart key. All keys were lost & tried to program new key of the wrong type. Now car seems to be in lockout mode & wont even allow the cluster to come on. How to clear lockout mode?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Yeah, just a steel key that only works in the door because it requires a smart key be inserted into the slot,

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, everything. tried all sorts of scan/ programming tools, checked all fuses, disconnected batt. etc..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also did steering lock pinning method bypass, still wont come on at all. Batt voltage is 13.3 volts.

3/15/2018
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Do the headlights work? What about the brake lights?

Have you checked for codes?

What size engine do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
engine is 3.5, its not Hybrid, no codes & not comm w/ ecu, but yes comm w/ BCM & 5 other modules. headlights were working but I havent tried them recently, & i'm not currently w/ the car.

Ok, sounds good. Maybe you can check fuses and let me know?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all fuses checked good in two fuse boxes.

Thank you for that information. Do you happen to have the VIN by chance?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1N4BL21EX8C128719

Thank you for that information.

The most common cause of this no start condition is a faulty steering column lock unit on the steering column. Nissan has a TSB out about this. Are you aware? Usually replacing this will fix the issue. But if you have checked or replaced this, then the next thing to do would be to go after the BCM communication issue in order to get the vehicle fixed.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O.K. How? The BCM is communicating. Is there a lockout mode & how to get out of it?

Oh sorry.. my mistake, I though you mentioned there was no BCM communication. Sorry about that.

The fix is to replace the steering column unit. That is how to get it out of lock out mode.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
whats wrong w/ the steering column lock ? This happened while reprogramming a smart key to the car. All keys were lost

Would you like the TSB?

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

I am glad I can help!

Thanks and have a great day!!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC