Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Not sure...occasionally while sitting at a traffic light or…

Customer Question
Not sure...occasionally while sitting...

Not sure...occasionally while sitting at a traffic light or when I stop in my driveway, I get a small whiff of burnt motor oil. Very minor oil residue on right underside of motor. This just recently started happening. '03 Sentra 1.8L, 151,000 mi. that's been a really tight & dependable car. Any ideas where I should look for the leak ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Sitting still @ traffic lights (red light/green light).

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

If it's something that I can do myself, I'll take care of it. If not, I'll carry it to a local repair shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's the only problem I've ever had with the car.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/14/2018
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Standing-by.

there are basically three areas to look at. the valve cover to see if there is evidence of oil around the outside of it. the oil filter housing where it bolts to the engine block. and the camshaft seal on the side of the valve cover.

Thanks.

hows it going?