Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Break light and battery light come on intermitently..this…

Break light and battery...

Break light and battery light come on intermitently..this morning car almost died.. not getting gas.... alternator and battery have already been replaced..

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

No ... its at the mechanic now. and of course the lights are not comning on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2009 murano

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

No its at the mechanic based on what the manual said, i asked them to check the serpentine belt

3/14/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Are you hoping to do some diagnostics yourself and figure this out? If so do you have a volt ohm meter?

What do you think the issue is.. My car is at the mechanic and they are not seeing the lights on so they don't have a response
No...
In general what do you think the issue could be based on what I have told you?

I hate giving general answers without diag. However, since you asked.

The brake light, that is the warning light in the cluster, not the ones on the rear of the vehicle, correct?

Did these lights come on when the was about to stall at low rpm?

The battery light and brake light both have come on and the car still ran fine.. then went off then came back on a day or two later... today the light came on and the car felt like it was not getting gas.... it never stalled and when i drove it to the mechanic of course it did not come on at all...

What brand alternator was installed?

I have no idea. Why?

I ask because your issues can be battery voltage related and an aftermarket alternator made cheaper may still not be working correctly. Your car uses a PCM controlled charging system, unlike older models whereas the alternator controls the voltage output. I feel like the issues are going to be the PCM, alternator or the alternator wiring.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

you dont' think it could be the sepentine belt?

You gave me no indication of a squealing noise or power steering issue, so no I do not believe the belt is loose at this time.

i have had both those issues as well.

With the new info, then check ing the belt and tensioner would be a good choice.

I have asked them to check the belt..as well.. I seem to think that is the issues but they are saying without the lights coming on they cannot make a diagonosis

No lights need to be on to check the belt, to diagnose the light yes.

There is no other way to check the belt unless the battery light and break light are on ?

Not true. You can visually and by hand check the belt. You are just looking to see if its worn, torn, loose, or has any fluids leaking onto it.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Ok thank you

You are welcome