Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 1987 Nissan 300zx automatic 4 Speed. THe speed ometer…

Customer Question
Hello there , I...

Hello there , I have 1987 Nissan 300zx automatic 4 Speed . THe speed ometer doesn't work . I replaced and it still does't work ! THE CABLE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300ZX yourself? What have you tried so far?

WE REPLACED THE OLD ODOMETER WITH A NEWER ONE ! THE TECOMETER WORKS ALONG WITH THE OTHER GAGES ..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

YES , WE believe that the problem is the cable which runs from the trans to the odomitor cluster . Its a part that is hard to find , but if U have info on a rebuilt one it would be appreciated

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/14/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 4 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is most likely a broken cable, does the cable move at the speedo, when driving?

No Tim, It isn't a cable per say .. it is 2 wires about 3& 1/2 feet long , there is the typical coupler and on the end that connects
is near the battery . the problem is at the which that actually screws into the trans , which is some kind miniature electric generator , which is 1 & 1/2 inch long , & 1 inch in diameter , We tested it with an ommetor . we found that it only made only
1 to 2 omhs

so this is not cable driven??