Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Will not go above 2000 rpm then wants to die. 1994 pickup…

Will not go above...

Will not go above 2000 rpm then wants to die

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Nissan?

1994 pickup ke24e

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it my self thought maybe clogged cat converter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Engine seems to have top end noise and smells like something is hot

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic(###) ###-####

3/14/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

It is possible the converter is plugged. A simple and quick test for this is to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold and drive the truck. If it runs over 2k then oyu know the converter is plugged and the exhaust needs a place to go.

If this doesn't solve it, then I would look at the ignition timing as a possible cause, sometimes the distributor fails to advance and that can cause the issue. The other issue could be the mass air flow sensor that is bolted to the throttle body. They fail on these as well. Usually when they do there is a fuel cutoff at about 2700 RPMs.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician