Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 350z track edition is making a loud rattling noise…

Customer Question
My 2003 350z track...

My 2003 350z track edition is making a loud rattling noise coming from the upper driver side of the plenum on a cold start. the noise subsides after about 45 seconds to a minute

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Driver's side upper plenum. about 2 months now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?

All i have done is changed the oil and filter. my uncle owns a shop and my motor is a jasper motor so it's under warranty still so im gonna have them check it out but i wanted your opinion

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Another question i have is my oil pressure at idle in first is about 29 psi. just wanted ti know if that was normal and in 6th gear 90 mph its 120 psi

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/13/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

ok

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

the idle specs is 14 psi

2000 rpm : 43 psi

6000 rpm : 57 psi

now the pressure you are getting are highers than specs

are you hearing lifter noises ? until oil get up to heads ?

was heavy duty oil pump installed on the jasper engine ?

how many miles ago was engine installed ?

was any small metal shavings found in oil when changed ?

click on link to view pdf file with specs

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

I want you to read this tsb bulletin on this issue

click on link to view

is it hard to start or just engine noise , Top engine noises correct ?

its not a lifter tick, it sounds like a metal clunking in my upper plenum on the drivers side, no metal shavings in oil, i dont know what oil pump they used, motor installed about 8,000 miles ago, depending on how serious it is i will either do it myself or take it to a shop
the car starts immediately just followed by a loud metal clunking in the upper plenum and subsides as soon as it reaches operating temp

that make me think we have vacuum leak on the plenum, i would do a smoke test ?

have timig belt been replaced when they swiped engine ?

timing belt was replaced. and if it was a vaccum leak wouldnt it hesitate on startup and throw a code or misfire?

that will yes and yes , but depends how bad the vacuum leak is , the car computer can adjust up to 25% before it sets a fault or u feel a misfire or idle issue

fuel trim readings will help us if we do have a leak, if u have live data scanner ?

i was told by a friend that it could be due to valve train rattle or the fuel pressure regulator or the power valve accuator

all we doing here is guessing , this one told you this and this told you this ,all guesses

you need fuel trim readings ,at idle at operating temp

oxygen sensor readings ?

fuel status ?

if all that checks out then go deeper and take valve cover and check valve train ?

fuel pressure needs checked ?

get me these readings and i can help you further or it will be a guess ?

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I will do by best on seeing if we can figure this out for you. But could be difficult since noises are really best diagnosed in person. So I have dealt with allot of noises that transmit through the engine and do sound like they come through on the intake plenum. So the noise may not always be on the top. Would it be possible to take a video clip of the noise you are hearing and post it on You Tube and share the link with me so I can hear what your hearing? If I hear the noise I would maybe be able to determine a direction on what is making the noise. So let me know...

Oh, also let me know if there is any mods on the car, such as cold air intakes, plenum spacers, exhaust and so on?