Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 nissan altima ikey system error message. Car starts.

2015 nissan altima ikey...

2015 nissan altima ikey system error message. Car starts. Alarm keeps going off every few minutes. I had to disconnect the battery. Reconneced and the error message is gone but the alarm still keep s going off every 20 minutes, so back to disconnecting the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

No. Will that reset something so the alarm does not trigger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only thing I tried was disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. the error message is gone, but the alarm comes on every 20 minutes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if a mechanic is aware of an easy fix or does this require a trip to the dealership. thanks.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Try this and lets see if the alarm stops going off. Connect the battery and take the mechanical key out of the remote and use it to lock and unlock the drivers door. Then see if the alarm stops and see if the car starts and let me know..

Okay. The alarm was taking up to 20 minutes to turn on once I unlocked the car with the remote. I will use the mechanical key this time, but it may take almost an hour to know if that solved the problem. Going out try this now. thanks.

ok.. Let me know..

I reconnected the battery. Then I unlocked the car with the mechanical key and opened the door, got it and started the care. No error message showed up, just like last time. I closed the door and re-locked the door with the mechanical key. No alarm. The last two times I went through this, the only thing different was that I did not use the mechanical key. The alarm sounded about 20 minutes later each time. I will listen for it again. Hopefully the third time (with the mechanical key) takes care of the problem.

No problem.. Let me know how you make out.

Thank you Jay. I will reply back in an hour if the alarm stays off, or sooner if the alarm sounds (but hopefully not).

Sure.. No problem.. I am online for another 1/2 hour to a hour..

I will message in 1/2 hour if I don't hear anything from the alarm then.

You got it.. Don't forget to Rate me if we got it resolved! if not, let me know

I will do that. thanks

Your welcome!

Well so far no alarm. :-) I will give it another 30 minutes. If it stays off I will rate you for your excellent advice. If the alarm sounds again then I will let you know. But I think this may have resolved the issue. Thanks.

You got it..

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
I hope I am not calling it a victory prematurely, but I believe your instructions solved my issue with the car alarm reactiviating repeatedly. Thank you!
Problem returned. Alarm went off at 11:45 PM. I disconnected the battery for the night.
I will check back tomorrow for direction.

I saw your response. I would like it if we can continue around 6pm EST when I get home from work so we can do some checks to see what is triggering the alarm to go off. Will that work for you?

that works with my schedule as well. Please contact me later today. -David
For when you return around 6 pm... What I have found is that using the mechanical key stops the alarm from going off repeatedly. But the <I-Key System Malfunction> indicator light came back on and stays on. So there is a problems somewhere. I changed the batteries in the FOBs just for good measure. If I use the FOB, then a few minutes later, the alarm starts up again. I can turn it off with the FOB or key. But the alarm will activate again a few minutes later if I use the FOB. I have scheduled an appointment with a local Nissan dealership later this week in case this cannot be resolved from home. If you have more suggestions to check and find the issue, I am open to trying them. Thanks, David

I am now online. So let me know when you are available.

Hello Jay.

Hello..

Ok... So lets see if we can narrow this down for you... So lets try this....

Using the key worked a few times, but now does not keep the alarm off anymore. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the alarm from activiting every 10 minutes.

Lets lower all windows and then step out of the car and lock the car. Then watch the security light when you lock it. Let me know if it turns solid for 10 to 20 seconds then starts the flash.

If it does, that is normal operation. So from this point, with all windows down, I would like you to grab the inside and outside of each door, one at a time and pull and push each door. See if there is a particular door that can set off the alarm is what we are looking for.

okay. I will go through that exersize and get back to you.

ok

When I hit the lock button, the lights flash once like normal. The security light does come on solid for any length of time. It just flashes about once per second. The alarm does not respond to the pulling of the doors.

If the alarm does not go off by yanking on doors while locked, that is good. So then I would try tapping around the hood and see if the hood sets it off.

okay. Is the alarm armed when the security light is flashing?
I assume I am looking for a security sensor that is setting off the alarm when it shouldnt
Should I take the FOB off of my person when checking the hood and doors?

When the Security light is Solid, it's not arm. Once it starts to flash, then it's armed. That is when you want to do the checks..

I reconnected the battery. Then started the car, rolled down the windows, shut off the car, got out, and locked the car. The security light started flashing right away. it never came on solid. I checked the doors and did not get an alarm. In the process, I loosened the cable that was just resting on the battery terminal enough to short the connection. So I got under the hood again and tightened it down. This time when I started and stopped the car, then locked it, the security light stayed on solid for about 30 seconds, then flashes. I tapped the hood, checked the trunk and doors again and no alarm came on.
The alarm activated with nobody near the car again just now.

I wonder if you have a bad remote? Do you have a second remote for the car?

I have two remotes, and I have tried both separately.
I changed the batteries in both of them earlier today
I need to pick up my daughter down the street. I will be back in 10 minutes. Thanks

Let me also explain the factory alarm.

So the factory alarm the way it works is that it is integrated into to car. So it can't be disabled. So once you lock the car with the remote, if the security light does not turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds, that means the BCM is seeing something open. Door, hood or Trunk. If it see's everything is closed, then the security light will turn solid for the 10 to 20 seconds. So that is why I was having you try doors hood and so on...

ok.. Take your time.. Wife has my dinner almost ready anyway..

Ah, the hood was cracked open the first time I checked the doors. makes perfect sense now.
Back in a bit. enjoy dinner first. thanks

You got it.. Talk to you in a few..

I am back for when you are ready.

I am almost done.. play around with what I have asked and also try taking the batteries out of one of the remotes. Mainly the one you always use just to see if that remote is causing the issue also.

Okay
I took the batteries out of both remotes. Alarm still sounded a few minutes later.
I will keep trying things, but if we cannot figure it out, I will not be heart broken. This car is still under warranty.

If it still goes off with the remote batteries out, then it has to be a door latch or a hood switch or something causing the alarm to go off. But at least you have a basic understanding of how the alarm is triggered.

okay. I think I will most likely need a mechanic to locate and replace the switch or sensor that is causing the alarm. At least I know which direction to point them in. Thank you for going through the list of things that I was able to check for. I have an appointment to have the car looked over on Thursday. Have a great evening and thanks for your time. -David

Your welcome David, and feel free to let me know how you make out.

Thanks Jay!

I can let you know what they find. Thanks

Your welcome..

Jay, you were on target. It was a manfunctioning hood latch switch. Dealership replaced the entire latch assembly under warranty. Thanks. - David

That is awesome. Glad that they were able to get the issue resolved for you. I knew we were close. Cool deal. Thanks for the update and thanks for using JustAnswer.com