Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Will a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder v6 3.0 automatic transmission…

Will a 1994 Nissan...

Will a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder v6 3.0 automatic transmission fit a 1987 Nissan D21 v6 3.0 pickup?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

130,000 miles on the Pathfinder automatic transmission, 132,00 miles on the D21 Hardbody pickup; Pathfinder and D21 pickup are both 3.0 v6 engines.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing it myself, not done anything yet. Considering replacing the 1987 D21 truck's manual transmission with the 1994 Pathfinder's automatic transmission. Wondering if it's possible?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Additionally, will the complete 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD system/apparatus fit on a Nissan 1987 D21 Hardbody pickup?
3/13/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The engines are very similar. But there is differences.. How ever.. If wanted to take the whole engine and harness out of the 94 and put it in the 87, that will work..

The swap is possible as long as you swap everything from the 94 to the 87.

Is it necessary to take the whole 1994 Nissan 3.0 v6 engine out if the 1987 D21 pickup engine is also a Nissan 3.0 v6 engine?
Shouldn't the 1994 Pathfinder automatic transmission connect to the 1987 Nissan 3.0 v6 engine?

Yes the 94 Automatic Transmission will bolt right up. How ever, you would need to take the whole engine and transmission harness and Ecm and main harness out to make it work in the 87. The engine is the big thing. I know the cylinder head and block may be the same. But all external parts will need to be removed from the 87 and the 94 externals would need to be installed.

I think this answers the question for now. I will need to look at everything involved. I am considering a 1994 Pathfinder that needs a new engine as a donor vehicle to install a the automatic transmission and 4WD on the 1987 pickup which is not 4WD and has a manual transmission. It is starting to sound like it is not practical.

Sounds like a interesting project. Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician