Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It won't start - turns over but won't start. Tries after a…

It won't start -...

It won't start - turns over but won't start. Tries after a little time of turning the ignition. Was working fine but had code light on. Drove it one day next day won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 with 278000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to but have no idea where to start. Recently I had the following done and it has been fine since then. 12/7/17 – Brian put on new Altanator, 2 hoses, and 2 belts
12/13/17 Jacob - The Muffler Shop, White Center by CHASE - put on new front catalalitic converter (right behind motor) and resonator – 1 Yr Warranty
1/4/18 Brian Hinckley did all brakes and rotors (front and back)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not losing power or anything was running and sounding fine

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

when you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I tell that?

you turn the key to the on position and listen for a small motor running in the fuel tank. if you aren't sure you hear it or not then have someone put their ear to the fuel door while you turn the key on. its only going to run a few seconds

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it isn't running then that would be a fuel pump correct? What if it is?

it could be the pump or the wiring or the relay, just let me know please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not at my car - I am at work until this evening.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you give me some things to check if it isn't running

do you have a voltmeter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Think my neighbor does
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One of the codes was P0420 -
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since it won't run I can't get it in to have another code done

p0420 wont cause this issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is what I was sure of - didn't make sense to me

if the pump doesn't run, you will pull the fuel pump relay out. the prongs should be numbered 1,2,3,5. check for 12 volts in slot 3. if you have it there then make a jumper wire and put one end in slot 3 and the other in slot 5 and listen for the pump.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it does run?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry - as you can tell I am a very new work on my car person :)

then you will need to check for spark, also check to see if the rpm needle is moving when cranking and that the theft light is going out while cranking

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK - I will try these tonight and see what happens. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't remember when plugs were changed - but why wasn't there any warning? Worked fine and then won't start?

please report back the results. thanks. there wasn't any warning because its a machine and machines just break sometimes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will check back - just log into my account again?

yes and ill be right here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANK YOU!!!!!

you are very welcome and ill be back on around 8 est. after my guitar lesson.

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just got home haven't had a chance to check it yet

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuel pump works. Friend bringing code reader tomorrow after work to check in case auto zone gave me wrong printout or if more than just the one code.

did you check to see if the rpm needle is moving when cranking and that the theft light is going out while cranking

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rpm needle not moving. What is theft light? Trying harder to kick over

it either a lock symbol or the word security or theft or a little red light on the dash somewhere

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be as simple as the wrong gas cap?

no

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Theft light goes out when cranking

if the rpm needle doesn't move at all when cranking the engine then the crankshaft position sensor isn't telling the computer that the engine is rotating. then the computer does not send a command to the injectors to pulse fuel

david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Phone call session started

let me know what the code is. thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Leaving to go there now

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0420 but then used the nissan enhanced transmission and came up with 01 (2/2) initial start. Said he had no idea what that code was

never saw a code like that. anyhow the p0420 usually calls for the replacement of the catalytic converter but for 8.00 you can get rid of that code forever

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He cleared codes. What do you mean get rid of it? And car started again no problem after setting 15 min

that code will come back, it's not the reason the car didn't start. get this and you'll never see 0420 again

https://www.ebay.com/i/152927555013?chn=ps

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But how do I figure out what is going on with my car if it won't start again?

if it doesnt start again then have the fuel pressure checked. that code has nothing to do with the no start

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok can we keep this open till I see what happens in the morning

sure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so very much!

you bet

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still waiting to hear from Mechanic what he is fixing - but it kept running/starting tell I got it out to him. Thank you so very much for all of your assistance. I truly appreciated it. You are amazing! Thank you again

you're welcome and thanks but I'm not amazing. I just have been doing this a long time.

david craig
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician