Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I got a nissan murano 2010 and the airbag light is blinking.

Hi i got a...

Hi i got a nissan murano 2010 and the airbag light is blinking

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

Took it to the dealer and will cost me 3,000 bucks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

So not sure if there is aniother way to fix it or what is the reason why they want to charge me that much

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have not tried anything yet i remember changing the battery in november.....

3/12/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

What exactly have they told you is wrong with the car?

OK

They say that something was wrong and they have to change the whole thing for 3,200 usd
occupant detector sensor

Sounds like they are wanting to replace the passenger side seat assembly to me. The seat uses passenger occupancy detection to turn the airbag on and off, for the passenger side. This way you can have children in the seat and the airbag won't deploy. I can't think of anything else that would run that kind of money. It's all part of the seat assembly. I would do some searching for your own used seat. Make sure it's got all the same airbags as your seat and see if you can get a lower cost. The seat has to be most of the price they are charging. Replacing the seat itself should be no more than about 2 hours labor.

I would think you could do better on the cost of a used seat if that's what we are talking about here. You might even consider getting a second opinion and having a regular shop install it to save some money.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

B1018 ocs SENSOR FAILURE

Yes, I figured it was for that kind of money. Here is a link to a company that makes an emulator so the airbag is working and ready to deploy. This can be installed by anyone and as long as you don't have small children would be perfectly safe.

http://airbag360.com/nissan-murano-passenger-seat--occupancy--sensor-occupant-classification-sensor-emulator-470-p.asp

if i but iy it is just matter of installing it and that's it? sounds easy
can i install it?

That's what it looks like to me, just a plug and play part you can install as long as you can locate the old one to remove.

ah ok, so basically is to tell the system that someone is seated and airbag can be deployed, right?

Correct, this is why I wouldn't use it if I had kids under 80 pounds, or not let them sit in the front.

ok, i have kids heavier than that weight , basically only adults are going to seat there
have you recommended this before?

So if it were me I would try this, much cheaper then replacing the whole seat. It's basically fooling the system. I do that with the modified tune on the computer on my mustang, so I don't see why this wouldn't work, and sorry to say, I have not. It's the first time I have seen it. I was just doing a quick search for a passenger side seat for you when I came across this.

ok, makes sense...i like the wording "fooling the system" as long as small kids are not in the front

Yes, and that's really the point with the OSD, to prevent the airbag from going off with small kids up there.

awesome...thank you very much for your support

You are really very welcome and kindly remember to rate my answer!

Have a great day!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician