Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How do you change the alternator on a 2016 rogue. Loosening…

Customer Question
How do you change...

How do you change the alternator on a 2016 rogue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rogue yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Loosening belt but it's on there so tight you can't get it off to get the alternator replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt are you dealing with? And have you changed one before?

It'a the serpentine belt and yes, but on 2 other makes and models.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How do I get to the bolt to loosen because the angle to get one of the bolts off is nearly impossible.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

hey there, thanks for the question. the alternator on the rogue is fairly straight forward and easily accesible.

are your talking about the clearance on the bottom bolt with hand tools?

LOL my husband just spent an hour trying to fix it. He can't get to the tension unit/belt to remve it and then change alternator but please walk him through it before he goes crazy. I suggested a tire iron the pop belt off but apparently that wouldn't work. :)

the belt is still on?

it's the 2016...2016 model!! Everyone keeps telling us how to fix a different year and finding parts for that thing is a freaking nightmare from the 50th circle of hell.

you DON'T remove the tensioner. You put a wrench on the hex bolt at the front of the auto tensioner and pull the assembly to the right which releases all the tension. there is a hole you can slide a pin in if you want to lock it in place.

on clearance.
Yes on the belt is still on the vehicle.

use the picture I sent. the tensioner is an auto tensioner. you simply pull the assembly and it slides over and you can lock it in place to take tension off.

i go through the fender well, removing the splash guard is the easiest

Does he have to remove everything on to of the alternator to get to the alternator?
The bolt on the bottom side of the alternator (passengers side of the vehicle) (if he can even get it loosened) is going to make that belt loose. Heck, he can't even get it loosened.

There is a couple ways to get it loose with hand tools.

I can tell you a very non-conventional easy way i got this exact bolt loose on a rogue on a house call where i only had hand tools and it was stuck.

Forgive my stupidity.
Can he not change it from the top or does he have to go through the fender well and the splash guard?

taKe the fender well out its SIMPLE AS PIE and makes belt removal and installation an absolute BREEZE!

Unconventional with power tools sound fantastic.

Your just removing the bottom splash guard piece and the SIDE COVER. Not the entire thing.

You do know which bolt I'm talking about right?

yep, i took a closed end wrench (mine was ratcheting but makes no difference) and placed it on the bolt with the handle facing hte front of the vehicle.

i used a small strap connected to the wrench and tightened it till it was even with the radiator core support.

placed a prybar in the strap and placed a rag on the core support to pull the strap up which broke the bolt loose.

OK that doesn't sound too bad. A little labor intensive perhaps.
If that doesn't work can we come back and ask for help again or will we have to pay again?

i will keep the question open for you. All i ask is that you leave me a kind rating.

there is no charge for follow up on the same question.

what sounds labor intensive?

Thank you!!
ok
Just taking off the splash guard and the way you have to get the belt to get the belt off and using the tire iron to make it behave.Anyway, thank you and I guess I'll ge play with my car.
  • remove wheel
  • remove engine small under cover piece and remove the engine side cover of the fender protector
  • push the tensioner forward and insert a 6mm rod to lock in place.
  • some people remove the dipstick
  • disconnect alternator connections
  • remove 2 mounting bolts
  • life out the top.

checking in to see how you made out?

Did you still need assistance with this? If so please let me know.

If not please be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time.

thanks.