Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I’m experiencing some problems with the Lights Alarm,

I’m experiencing some problems...

I’m experiencing some problems with the Lights Alarm, usually this sounds if I leave the lights engaged and attempt to exit the vehicle with the keys. Just recently it has stopped doing this and I’m puzzled why. I’ve checked fuses but I don’t even know if it’s fuze related

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2002 Xterra - 4 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am, besides the fuzes nothing. I can’t find any information on this electrical system in particular.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don’t believe so

3/11/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

do you get the chime noise if you leave the key in the ignition and open the driver front door ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do

ok let me check that for u

r u there ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i am

ok i am going to send you a diagram

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to get a voltmeter for that

the signal from the switch go to pin 4 of the chime unit all you have to do is turn the light on and check for power at pin 4 if oyu have power replace the chime in it if not replace the switch

yes

since the unit chime when you leave the key in then it is most likely a bad switch but would be nice to be sure by doing the test

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now where is the chime unit gonna be located

let me check to be sure

under the dash above the gas pedal by the parking brake release

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it a thin rectangular Box?

yes should have six wires

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I provided a photo, it has several molex style connectors coming out

o​k send the pic please

no it only have one electrical plug check the wire color . should be blue/red. red / white .black. green / red , green /white

check the wire colors they should match

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I got a green and yellow

do all the other color match

hello

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I was having difficulty with my phone service, give me a moment to check

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have any 6 pin connectors that match your wiring description. I only have one 6 pin connector as well so. I have some large molex connectors that are past 6 pins, that ivory plastic box with 6 pin molex connectors, and I have a good number of the cross connectors with 4 wires.

the box whit 6 pin have to be the one your looking for ti is by the brake release

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s gonna have to be this one connector I have, the ivory box has controller written on it so I’d say it’s unrelated. The wiring diagram is green/yellow, white/blue, red/yellow, green, black/white, black/yellow.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You know I didn’t even think of this but if I open the door the interior lights come on so wouldn’t that narrow it down to the chirp because the switch is picking up the door opening?

that is not the same system , but the chime do work when the key is in the ignition so this is the reason i say the switch is bad

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright, Well which pin would I check on this connector since it’s the only 6 pin I got

p​in 4

o you can also check it at the switch pin 12 blue and red wire

light most be on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I just put both probes in the pin?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got a reading but I think I may have done it incorrectly

you are using a volt meter ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am

ok black lead go to body ground and red to the wire ignition on lights on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have voltage to pin 4
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should be the bottom left pin correct out of the pins?

is it 12 volts

correct on pin

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was closer to 14
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 13.51 -13.52 v going to pin 4

replace the chime unit

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright I’ll look into picking one up, thanks for the help I’ll keep in touch

y​our welcome please rate the service before you go thanks

please remember to rate before you go . fyi you can still ask more questions after that

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did, thanks a lot.

your welcome

Clifton B.
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech