Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2014 Nissan Rogue keyless start button does not work. No…

Customer Question
2014 Nissan Rogue keyless...

2014 Nissan Rogue keyless start button does not work. No power to truck. How do you remove the screw that holds the plastic steering cover on top of steering wheel?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

First time it ever happened

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rogue yourself? What have you tried so far?

Using key fob to touch start button.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Disconnected battery terminals for 30 minutes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does the head lights turn on? Did you try to jump start the car?

No power. The red car with the key symbol flashes real fast

It is normal for it to flash and it takes almost no power for it to do that.

Can we try jump starting the car and see if that will help?

Ok. Do not want a phone call. Be right back. My “stubborn” husband will try that now

ok

The symbol flashes a lot faster than it normally does

If the alarm was the issue, you would still have electrical power, the alarm would sound, lights would flash. Lets just see what the car does when you jump start it.

Once you hook up the jumper cables to the car, leave the car running to your car for 15 mins before trying to start. If your battery is that dead, it may take that time to charge it enough for the car to turn over and start.

If that is the Original Battery, which it most likely is, batteries have a life span of 3 to 4 years on a average.

Key system error comes up
Fobs Have new batteries

Do you see more signs of life with the jump start?

Showed some evidence of power

more than before?

Was 0 power before

It may have the key system error due to low battery voltage. So if you see more signs of electrical power with the jump start. I would disconnect the negative battery cable to do a master reset ( 15 mins or more ), while charging the battery or replace it. Then after you charge the battery or change it. Then see if it starts...

This is most likely a Battery issue.

We just need to get that screw out on the right center piece of plastic

?

My original question was how to remove that screw

Can you take a picture and show me which panel or screw you are talking about?

Where do I send the pic?

You attach them here. Or if you have a Dropbox, maybe share the link

Got them. Why are you taking the steering column cover apart?

Since we determined there is something for sure related to the battery, I don't know what you have taken apart so far, but I would plug everything back in and change out the battery. Then see if the car starts and runs. If it does, then you just need to assemble the vehicle.

If you did not remove the lower screws from the bottom part of the column cover and you pull up the upper column cover, you most likely broke the column cover.

I would assemble what you have a apart, and then focus on the battery first at this point. We verified that it is part of your problem, if not the whole problem.

To get to the steering lock

Car is not equip with one. They did away with Steering lock systems in 2012

Will check battery charge. Thanks

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!