Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a 1996 Nissan pickup that keeps throwing a p0105…

Customer Question
Hi I've got a 1996...
Hi I've got a 1996 Nissan pickup that keeps throwing a p0105 code...I've replaced the map sensor with no luck and done all the prescribed tests with a multimeter. I even tested the TPS which was fine. The truck runs very well but keeps throwing this stupid code. Interesting I am only able to erase the code by disconnecting the battery but can't with my code reader. Also I have noticed the barometric reading with the key on engine off reads 35 inches of mercury way to high for sea level which should be around 29 inches. This was true for the old map sensor to. Can this be indicative of a pcm/ecu issue and if so can I test it. Thx for any help
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/11/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Took the ecm out openned it up and saw no obvious signs of damage. My understanding is that when the ignition is turned on the ecm takes a snap shot of the barometric reading which in my case seems to always read an erroneous 35.1 hg and ajust air fuel mixture based on this...when running the reading is normal at about 9 or 10 hg at idle and runs perfectly. I doubt whether u r able to tell me how to test the ecm as it requires specialized tools but your insigbt is welcome. I suspect this barometric reading of 35.1 hg is at the root of my problem though however if the ecm is faulty my research indicates tbere should be other issues.

Do the test sheet first which is attached .

If all checks out good with the sensor , wiring ,connection on both sides ECU and sensor ,

then have the ECU tested .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Ok, my work schedule is unpredictable so this may take me a day or so...thx so much

No problem Mike i will be here when you get to it .

Rgds Greg.

Hi, i had a chance to do some of the tests...input signal circut was .5 ohms...dont know if thats ok. Ground circut measured .5 ohms again dont know if thats a good reading. Checked power and i kept getting 6.25 volts...shouldn't it be 5 volts? Vacumn measurements were normal. I'm going to repeat these tests again on Saturday. Thx

Okay let me know .

Greg

Retested today and results the same...concluded i need a new ecu. Several wrecking yards in my area have 96 or 97 Nissan pickups...my question is are those years interchangeabl for a California vehical as i have to pass smog test or does it have to be the exact year including whether it is standard or automatic thx
Before i replace the ecm id like to test the reference voltage at the ecm according to the article i found...i tested 6.2 volts at the map sensor harness which is way too high...if its at the ecm then i know there's something wrong with the ecm...my question is which pin do i test at the ecm?
i put a used ecu in today and the same code came up again plus a new one po443 . I'm. getting really frustrated now....feeling like I'm being victimized by the environmental fanatics in California and their Calif. air resourses board (carb) who hold everybody to impossibly high standards. Thats why my other cars are all from the 70s and 60s and i dont have to deal with this shit. I give up..probably just junk it and get an older pickup truck. thanks for your help im done.

Yes California a bitch to have a good old solid car .

Greg

Sorry Mike the last post was for another person .

Greg

I did some more tests after i calmed down...got continuity, 12 volts but no vacuum. interestingly if i applied 12 volts directly to the harness the solenoid snapped open and i got vacuum to the purge control valve. And when i jacked the truck up and watched for vacuum at 2000 rpms...nothing. I'm thinking the engine doesn't get warm enough as i deleted the thermostat. Also, i was looking for the pressure control valve thingy near the gas tank and noticed one of the vacuum hoses had come loose coming off the canister. Think thats related to all this in some way. Anyway, keep you posted.

Unhooked vacuum line is probably the problem , check that no dirt got into the line .

Test

Greg

I've tested everything associated with these two codes including the pressure sensor thing in the back and map baro switch, evap volume control sensor and everything u have suggested ..everything checks out. The only thing i have noticed is that the 5 volt reference circut to these solenoids tests at over 6 volts and that the map measures 35.1 inches of mercury with the key on engine of... it shoukd be 30 inches...I've hooked up my scanner to several other cars and they always read actual barometric pressure of 29 inches. Now i did replace the map with a used one...is it possible i got another dud that initially reads 35 inches? And is this typical of a bad map? My evap issue is still unresolved...I've tested all the main components except the actual charcoal canister and I'm not seeing any evidence of crap in any of the hoses. If i spend 600 bucks with a licenced smog technician and it still fails i can take it to a California referee who may waive the test. That's gay like eveything here...I'm thinking the 6 volt reference voltage and the initial erroneous barometric reading is central to my problems.
Can u send me detailed instructions on how to test my map baro solenoid. ..i suspect this is malfunctioning and responsible for one of my codes. I found some. generic instructions online that talks about blowing air thru the vacuum ports on the solenoid with the power on and off. I think the solenoid is not routing air properly as it failed a couple of theses blow thru tests but i really need specific instructions with a labled diagram indicating ports A,B &C. Thanks so much.
Map baro tested ok...i still think the high 6.2 vol reference readings im getting plus the initial 35 inches of barometric pressure is central to both these trouble codes. What are your thoughts on this?
Nissan Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 3 months ago

6.2 is high, what is the battery charging voltage 14+/-.5 volts .

Greg

what is the MAP Voltage with Ignition ON engine OFF ,at sea level you should have 4 volts the higher you get should decrease .

From the PCM you should have 5 volts If more check at the PCM how many volts you have if you are getting 6.5 volts from the PCM then have the PCM tested.

Rgds Greg

I'm going to test the voltage at the pcm today although i suspectI'll find it nnormal as the same high reference voltage was recorded wih my old pcm...i think therr is a short someplace that is giving me this higher reading.

possible ,let me know what voltage you find .

Greg

Okreference for map was 6.3 at the pcm and ground was 12 volts. I also tested with the new pcm and it was the same. This is not right. battery is not over charged. Why would this be if its not the pcm? i can understand if there was less than 5 volts and that thesensors might not function but would more voltage really mess things up. I can find absolutely nothingonline about this increased voltage.
Battery is 13.3 fully charged but after a few hours is 12.8. Alternator is putting out 14.5.

Battery is perfect and alternator is very good .

Now you have 6 volts getting to the sensor (FEED)which we agree should be 5 or a little less .

then on the signal wire what is the voltage should be 4.8 and with vacuum should drop .

If you also have 6 volts and drops then we have a bad ECU.

Greg

5.2 volts from sigmal wire and drops to 1.5 at idle which is normal. Im stumped...still wonder why i keep reading 35 inches of mercury key on engine off with borh ecms and both map sensors.

What drivability issue are you having .

Greg

What vacuum are you getting from the intack manifold at idle should have around 19 - 20 inch Hg .

Greg