Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 97 Nissan Maxima only blows out hot air... I know the AC…

My 97 Nissan Maxima only...
My 97 Nissan Maxima only blows out hot air... I know the AC works, but it won't even blow cold air from outside, no matter what the temperature slider is set to on the controls
3/10/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How do you know the AC works? Do you see the Ac compressor engage when turned on and do the engine radiator fans come on when the Ac is turned on?

I just had the AC serviced before winter hit and it worked great. I hear the AC compressor engage. When the temp slider is set to cold, not even cold air from outside vent comes in. Even if all of the selectors are off, it is still hot air.
What is an "air blend door" and does this vehicle have one?

Yes, the vehicle has one. It is what directs the temperature of the air through the duct system.

Does this car have auto air? or manual air? Meaning do you see the word AUTO on the air controller..

It does not say AUTO

Then you may have a cable type of operation. Do you see the Radiator fans come on when the AC is turned on?

both fans come on when I turn on the AC

Ok.. Just double checked., You do have a Air Mode Door actuator. It's not cable operated. So it's electronic. This is located from the passenger floor area towards the center of the vehicle.. Hang on. Let me see if I can get you a picture..

That is where it is located. So I would check that to see if it's operating when switching the air from hot to cold. If not, then the actuator would need to be checked and replaced as needed.

Can you read a wiring diagram?

I can read one more or less.... but here's a dumb question - if there is only hot air blowing out, no matter what the controls are set to, isn't that in indicator that it isn't working?

It could be.. But it would need to be checked..Cause the air controller sends the command. If it's not getting the command, it's either the controller or the actuator.

ah. ok.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

how do I check it?

If I provide you with the wiring diagram, you can check to see if the actuator is getting the signal. Hang on and I will get you that. Ok?

thank you
If it is either the controller or the actuator, can you send me in the direction of the best place to purchase either of those?

Hang on.. Please...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bo0hlmj7eo6c0j/1%20manual%20air.pdf?dl=0

this is the complete wiring diagram and system checks for you to help you with your issue.

Thank you.If it is either the controller or the actuator, can you send me in the direction of the best place to purchase either of those?

They are no longer available from the dealer. So you would have to get the controller from a salvage yard. Any auto parts store should be able to get the mode door actuator.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Thanks.. you've helped me with this car many many times - it's still running great with nearly 250,000 miles. I appreciate your help Jay!
- Don

Your welcome Don, and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com