Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Murano. I cant get it started. The car started…

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Murano. I cant get it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes. the car started perfectly fine, and then one morning i had forgot to move the car out of the street and asked a friend to move it. its a push start and he didnt know how to do it. he put the extra spare physical key inside the key slot and got it stuck. i got the key pulled out and try to put the key fob in the slot but the clips were broke. so i replaced the key slot mechanism but stayed with the same original computer. when attmepting to start the car. it doesnt crank. ive checked the battery, fuses, and had 3 different locksmiths come out to program the key. and i dont know whats going on. the car will continue to beep when the door is open even when the key isnt in the slot which is not normal. i noticed that. im just lost, dont know whats wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. just would like to speak to the technician please

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Already wrote an entire explanation

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Also any key fob that you put in the slot and try to turn it on, it will turn to the on position and display all the lights. im very stumped as to what could be wrong
3/10/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech replied 4 months ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

do the engine crank at all when hitting the button ?

no it doesnt even crank
you can hear just 1 click when you attempt to turn it on

ok did you try to jump start the car

i have.

h​ave you check the starter

havent changed it out no, that was going to be my next attempt to fix it, but i think its more than the starter. the car started perfect before this happened. how can i tell if its bad without removing it?

you can check the power to the starter when trying to start

ok and how do i do that? can you be a little more specific

do you have a volt meter ?

no i dont have a volt meter

you would need a volt meter have someone try to start the car and check for battery voltage /12 volts at the starter gray connector , the starter is located under the battery

if you get the clicking when trying to start this indicate ether the starter is bad /cannot turn the engine or the battery voltage is too low to work the starter

yeah but it doesnt continuously click. it just clicks 1 time. not like a rapid click as if the battery was weak.

one click indicate that the engine cant be turn by the starter this the reason i say it sound like a bad starter

ok ill try to replace the starter. now lets say i replace the starter and still doesnt work. then where do i go from there?

before you do that put a 19mm socket on the crank pulley and try to turn the engine by hand make sure it can be turn before you replace the starter

also test the battery voltage to be sure you have good voltage 12. 6 or more

r u there

do you have any more questions

??

if you have no more questions please rate the service before you go as this is the only way for me to get credit thanks.

yeah okay let me try to turn the engine by hand

ok let me know and please remember to rate when we are done

yeah i will

cool

i was able to manually turn the motor from the crank pulley. is there any fuses i should check?

did you use a socket and i ratchet handle it will be hard to turn please check again put some power into it

if you can turn it replace the starter if not there is a problem with the engine but i think you just did not use the correct tool are turn hard enough i have to step out for a few please let ma know what happen i will get back soon

no i said i "was" able to turn it

then the engine is lock up you need a shop to look at this

if the engine cannot be turn by hand it need to be replace

bro... i said i was able to . it does turn by hand. read correctly man

r​emove the starter ti make sure the starter is not jamming the engine then try to turn again

it turns by hand. im going to change the starter now . ill be back after im done

ok

ok

Did the alternator fix the problem.?
Starter sorry
no i put a brand new starter and it does tbe exact same thing still
Did you check the power to the starter and the battery voltage as i ask you .
im going to have to go get a volt meter tommorow

ok