Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Nissan altima security light stays on and won't start.

2004 Nissan altima security...

2004 Nissan altima security light stays on and won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

Stay solid when key in ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the bcm off to see if anything was fried but before I did that I tried with both of my keys and nothing happened

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will e helping you today

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi cliff

if​ the key light is on when the ignition is on this mean the keys have lost there program and will need to be reprogram, two way to do this call a mobile key service or get the car tow to the shop to have them reprogram the key . this cannot be done by just anybody as some special tools and access to a code database are needed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You don't think it's the bcm?

no more likely to be the program . the key itself or the immu control unit

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both keys I have just stopped working
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nissan is known for the bcm going out and losing memory of keys

yes i know , you need to get them reprogram if the program will not work scan the car for codes if you get a p1610 lock mode code replace the immu unit around the ignition cylinder

i work on Nissan i am telling you the immu is the most likely cause if the key will not reprogram

i work for Nissan at the dealer 15 year and still going seen this a lot of times

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok but why get the keys reprogrammed first ? And will I have to get the immu synced with the car at a dealer or can I just put It on ?

you may not have lost both key at the same time , its just that if one key go bad and you try to use it the system will wipe the second key and now no key will work

because you may have just lost the program it happens

you will have to get the keys program after the unit is replace .

do you have any more questions ?

if not please rate the service before you go using the rating button at the top of the chat page as this is the only way for em to get credit thanks ,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think I should change the immu then get keys reprogrammed and I'll be good ?

no i think you should tyr to get the key reprogram first that may be all that is needed if that do not work get the car scan for code if you have a code p1610 then you replace the immu unit and program the keys .do not just replace parts .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But why pay to program twice ?

why replace a part if not needed

maybe you should scan the car first then

s​ee if you have that code p1610

if you have that code replace the immu if you have a p1615 reprogram the key

a p1614 is a bad key

r u there ?

do you have any more questions ??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By immu you mean the immobilizer?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so tomorrow I'll put the bcm back on the get it scanned and go from there

sound good

do you have any more questions ?

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No sir thank you I'll rate it good

your welcome .

Clifton B.
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech