Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How to remove and replace a harmonic balancer pulley for a…

How to remove and replace...
How to remove and replace a harmonic balancer pulley for a 1998 nissan frontier 4wd standard 4L.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you see two threaded holes in the balancer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jay, sorry I am trying to get instructions before I start.

There is two ways it comes off. After you unbolt it, two pry bars and you wiggle it back and forth to walk it off.

The other way is if you remove the balancer mounting bolt and you see two threaded holes. Then you would use a Balancer puller tool to remove it.

Just forget if this year had the two threaded holes. That is why I asked.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My pulley is wobbling and squealing when I start the truck. I have changed all belts.

That means the pulley part of the balancer has come apart so the balancer assembly would need to be changed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks on removal. To remove the bolt can I bump start to remove or is there a too I can use?

You can try that. But if that doesn't work, then you need a air gun.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to confirm when I bump start I need to brace the bar going counter clockwise?

The engine will want to turn clockwise. So you need to brace the bar so it holds the nut

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I tried to get vedio on utube but none there. I will work on this next when my part comes in. Cn get in touch with you agian when I start? Also when tighten bolt do I reverse the bar?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry my fingers are not hitting keys correctly.

You do not want to use the starter to tighten the bolt. It could break the crank. You want to use air tools to zip it on. Then use a torque wrench to torque it to spec.

As far as getting back to me, you are more than welcome to. Even after you Rate me. Follow up questions as long as they are on the same topic is no extra charge. You only need to return back to this question

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks for your help. Have a great day.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jay, I will be working on the balancer this Friday. I will be using airgun to remove and install. What is the torque for it?

105 to 112 ft lbs of torque

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks.

Your Welcome

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician